Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions regarding VZ One Tonner

webby274

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 Executive sedan
G’day all
Recently purchased a 2005 VZ One Tonner that is unfortunately powered by the infamous chain rattler 3600 to replace my VY Commodore as a daily driver. Doing my research online into these vehicles having not had much to do with the One Tonners previously, I’ve been led to believe the 3.6 L Tonners had a 4L65E auto behind them, but the plate says it has an M30 which I’ve always associated with the 4L60E. Which trans is my vehicle meant to have in it? Also, what fuel consumption do people get out of these things? In my VY V6 sedan I can get 6.5-7.5L per 100 on a highway, and don’t get above 9.0L per 100 around town. In the Ute, I can’t get below 12L per 100 anywhere, are they really this thirsty? It seems to run well enough and I’ve already replaced the PCV hoses, canister purge hose, spark plugs, air filter and engine oil and filter.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
6 spd manual was std across the VZ commercial vehicle range and the 4 spd auto was optional.
My VZ Tonner is a Nov 2004 and it has the Alloytec coupled to a 4L60E (M30) transmission.
Best average I get is around the 14L/100km city/highway mix but generally around town only is up around the 16.5L/100km.
Using the A/C pushes the consumption up further.
I am constantly carrying around 420kg of work gear.

My alloytec has recently ticked over 170k and no problems with the timing chains so far.

SEN-255

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ii Senator, 03 LS1 Tonner, 71 Hq kingswood
Hey mate,

Have an 03 VY LS1 Tonner and she super thirsty. Needs new 02 sensors and Overdue for a solid tune and some TLC but driving it around town how it how it should be driven I'm getting no lower than 19l/100km. Only use 98 so its quite expensive these days. She loves a squirt and loves pulling even more. She's a good girl and i love her. haha

Cheers

webby274

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 Executive sedan
Muchly appreciated!! Cheers for the insight into how these things behave