Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

quick fix read me first

ipsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR BERLINA
ok about 2 months a go i was installing a new amp to the car i got it runing fine no issues then 2 weeks later my battery light stated coming on then the problems started i loose power as in i push the peddel and it dont wan to go no were just revs till 3.500 then slowly it powers up again what could be the problem ?

and if i have a vacuum leak to the auto what can happen when i rev the car i get this whistle nose come from under the car as well ????

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
1st problem sounds like your alternator has possibly died. Check the connecting cables and lugs for burning first though as i've read somwhere the v6's have habbit of burning the alternator lug.

Second problem i dunno, sounds like one of those problems that could be anything from fuel pressure to a stuffed auto.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
yea id go with vrwagz1 on the alternator possibility for the first problem, as for the whistle, it can be a range of things but most likely is either the intake or exhaust. Depending on what intake you have, a little hole in some piping or a leak somewhere on it can cause a whistle. The other possibility is either the exhaust headers have a gap somewhere where they meet the block (worn gasket?), your exhaust has a hole in the piping, the header manifolds to Y piece connection isnt bolted up tight enough or the gasket for the connections on the exhaust (eg. manifold to cat gasket) has worn waay causing a exhaust leak

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
If the whistle is like a whine of ever increasing pitch under acceleration it's probably to do with your transmission. Does it sound like it could be a gear whine? I have that noise in my manual and personally i like it, each gear has it's own tune and sounds like a race car, 3rd gear sounds like it's supercharged. Does it do it in neutral? Could it be the power steering pump?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
If the whistle is like a whine of ever increasing pitch under acceleration it's probably to do with your transmission. Does it sound like it could be a gear whine? I have that noise in my manual and personally i like it, each gear has it's own tune and sounds like a race car, 3rd gear sounds like it's supercharged. Does it do it in neutral? Could it be the power steering pump?

oo i want one of these 3rd gear supercharged autos lol.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe a bit more info might help - is the engine light on? (you may be in Limp Home Mode) - it may have something to do with installing the new amp which may be dragging lots of power from the battery ....this will cause the alternator to charge at maximum rate and make a sound like a whistle - is the battery going flat?.
I'd also go with Social and his suggestion that it is exhaust related.

ipsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR BERLINA
yer the engine light does come on when i loose power

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Your car appears to be going into LHM from your description. First thing to do is to check for error codes - it is easy to do and here are the instructions:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307
The problem will be easier to locate with this information - but at a guess I'd imagine your have a major short somewhere which you need to locate. If the car uses more electrical power than the alternator can produce and the battery volts drop, the engine will go into LHM to protect itself plus the alternator will whistle as it works flat out (the silicon diodes in the alt whistle)