Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick intake question.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
HAhaha.
I reckon the same people that love pods love electric superchargers too...

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
We'll we were.

Don't waste your time cutting up your airbox.
Why do people always get sooky when they get told **** isn't easy?

AzTuati

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT SS 5.0
sorry guys that was a cousin of mine, i left myself logged in :/

i dont care how hard it would be i just wanted some advice from people on what they think of mounting the intake down behind the fan, im going to try it out anyway and see what my results are, if im not happy with it ill try elsewhere. ill let you guys know how it turns out.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
It won't work very well I can assure you.

A: there is no space, it will foul either the fans or the belt.
B: Its very very hot right there, its probably the worst place to take the intake air from.

AzTuati

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT SS 5.0
hmm :/ i see... ohwell ill see what else i can do, i want something more unique and effective than cutting a hole in a box....lol

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
if you want something thats custom and may work, try replacing the intake pipe to something like stainless, getting one made up myself. all that does is remove the ridges in the intake pipe and smoothes it out. if you really want to get creative, relocate the coolant overfill container, and cut a hole in the guard, and mount a pod down there. is away from engine bay heat, and combined with some cool stainless intake pipework made up, would look pretty sweet polished or black under the hood. you would probably notice more power with a setup similar than buying any cai, and may be cheaper.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
It isn't as effective as the standard arbor , this is what I've been telling you, they are only used because of lack of room, and yOu mention cold air, you are actually trying to get MORE cold air.. Which will flow exactly 'laminar'. Throwing a pod on the end of the maf will cause the air to be 'turbulent' and it won't flow right. This is my understaNding and what I've understood anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thus why ppl get mafless tunes correct? To get more air in which mafs cannot read, more 'turbulent
Air...

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah you're fairly well on the ball with the whole pod issue.
Maf's are a restriction in the intake, you can tune the PCM to use the MAP sensor and the IAT to calculate the fuel needed without the MAF.
So, that's why they get rid of it. Justs makes **** easier.