Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick LAMS bike

barnesy12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hey guys I'm looking at getting my bike license soon and I've starting looking around at a few bikes, mainly the cbr250r. I'm after something quickish and not all that uncomfortable, I'm close to 2m tall so no learner approved sport bike is going to be perfect size wise, I'm in tas if that helps, looking at spending around the $3000 mark.
Cheers in advance

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
you're going to struggle finding something to fit you nicely. have you sat on any of the 250's? most are quite small. i rode a ninja 250r once and i was too big for it at 182cm.

do you mean the new cbr250 or the old one? the old ones are pretty much all rooted as they stopped production in '96 and i think all were imports from japan. you normally find them with a new set of fairings which makes the bike look half respectable but mechanically they are ####ed.

hmm, 3k doesnt really give you alot to play with. what sort of riding are you wanting to do?

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
I'm 6"4, I found my VTR250 was comfortable to ride.

Another option is to go for a motard.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
In Tas now you can actually go up to a 600 on your Learners. I haven't had much experience with bikes, my father and step-mother are the avid riders in my family. She had a Kawasaki ZZR600 which she loved. Only reason she got rid of it was because they do a lot of endurance riding and she's super tall (6 foot 6) and it wasn't comfortable enough size wise for the long-distance rides.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
if tas has the same LAMS restrictions as vic its up to 660cc's and a power to weight ratio of less than 150kw per tonne with an allowance for 85kg as a rider.

motards are awesome fun (i have two of them) but they arent that comfy.

vtr250 is a way better bike than a cbr but its not a rocket. i would probably buy one if i needed a commuter bike, just with an aftermarket muffler for the note and a set of motorcross bars.

in fact, you cant really get a fast LAMS bike unless you go a highly strung motard. which is out of your budget and wont be very comfortable. but on the upside you get proper suspension and serious, serious braking power.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
you're going to struggle finding something to fit you nicely. have you sat on any of the 250's? most are quite small. i rode a ninja 250r once and i was too big for it at 182cm.

do you mean the new cbr250 or the old one? the old ones are pretty much all rooted as they stopped production in '96 and i think all were imports from japan. you normally find them with a new set of fairings which makes the bike look half respectable but mechanically they are ####ed.

hmm, 3k doesnt really give you alot to play with. what sort of riding are you wanting to do?

I disagree, i have a 1989 CBR250R and it runs like a dream. Smallish, but it's the quickest LAMS bike going around, the Hyosungs 650's are alright but they're limited, and the handle like ****. Good for the size though

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Im 190cm Tall and all i can say is stay away from the little CBR250s, i swear i was tripping over them they were that small. I would look for a GS500, they are a good bike, 0-100 in 5 seconds, thats power of a SS there, great bike, i use to own a 07 GS500F. the 500 will take more punishment to the little 250s
Found it was the largest learner bike i could get since i too am very tall, was comfy to ride on no issues

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Im 190cm Tall and all i can say is stay away from the little CBR250s, i swear i was tripping over them they were that small. I would look for a GS500, they are a good bike, 0-100 in 5 seconds, thats power of a SS there, great bike, i use to own a 07 GS500F. the 500 will take more punishment to the little 250s
Found it was the largest learner bike i could get since i too am very tall, was comfy to ride on no issues

Lol i'm 182cm, i didn't care what LAMS bike i got, I'm going to be upgrading to faster and more bigger soon anyway.

adrian123443

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Berlina
you're gonna struggle to get much for 3 grand, especially in the way of quickish, I always thought the fastest LAMS approved bike would be something like the CB400 Super Four or the VFR400

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
what bike you gonna get DDR?

yeah, a 3k budget isn't alot for a bike. you're limited to vtr's and zzr's and you might find a rough cbr..