Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

quick question on catback exhaust systems?

JShaw

greeeeeeeeen
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Executive
Hey guys I checked the FAQ but not sure that I found my answer.

What are the differences in the different catback exhaust systems you can purchase?
I'm talking between 2, 2.5, 3 inch etcetc and single or dual?
I'm keen to get one very soon but all these options are making it hard to choose, and i'm also not very experienced in this field so that makes it tougher!

Finally, anyone recommend a place in melbourne/south-east to get it done cheap but of good quality? I'd like to not get ripped off, thanks! :smoking:

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
They are different sizes, twin means two exhausts.. U should go a twin with 6 inch cannons, sounds wicked on anything

It also helps for you melbourniens to go sideways around fully sick round a bouts.

In all seriousness though, you haven't given much detail about what you want from ur exhaust and how loud u want it. Remembering that thee is not a lot of gains in cat back exhaust, jut a lot of noise

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
No loss of compression WTF?
Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, then to open it an remove all doubt.

If you've got a naturally aspirated (no supercharger) V6 IMO the best exhaust setup would be twin 2.25" system.

The difference in exhaust size comes down to how much gas you have flowing through it. You don't want it too small so as to restric the gas flow, but you don't want it to big. If the Diameter is too big the gas slows down, which is bad as this is essentially the same as having it too small.

The difference between single and twin systems. Single systems are cheaper and harder to get the best balance between flow and speed. Twin systems cost more generally due to the extra time it takes to make and the materials needed, but its alot easier to get the flow vs gas speed ratio better.

The best thing I can recomend you do, if you're chasing power is to get extractors and some decent cats. Run a true twin system. Running single into twin is like drinking non alcoholic burbon... (ash water). It will just leave a shitty taste in your mouth.
If all you're after is noise, as single 2.5" exhaust with a really good muffler is what you should go with. If money is no object, get on Ebay and hunt down an edlebrock or Magnaflow muffler and get a system custom made. Those mufflers usually go for about $250. The muffler is where the sound quality is. Not the size of the pipe.

JShaw

greeeeeeeeen
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Executive
Thanks guys! sorry about lack of detail.
at the moment i'm really only looking for sound over performance, so as your advice goes, a single 2.5" ?
im really just keen to get a good sound out of my vz!
i've got just a custom muffler/tip atm and it sounds good when i plant the foot but when it's idling/foot isnt on the pedal there isnt much sound at all, which i'd like to change

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Not an abba does a good exhaust, I am surprised he hasn't been in Here yet, is it a muffler or a tip? Tip won't do anything for sound.

If u want sound single. 2.5 with a free flowing muffler.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
i got a twin 2.5 redback on mine with no rear resonator. me and impulsive get together fairly often so i can compare my twin with his single, but he has extractors. anyways, from what i can tell the difference, my twin sounds 'smoother' than impulsives, where as his single sounds more beefier and throatier. also on idle, his single is louder. when driving, pretty sure mine is louder, well inside the cabin is louder (drone). performance wise, i think mine would be better (courtesy of impulsesv6), i asked him because he had both, and he said the twin 2.5 gave higher dyno reading, but lost down low rpm. just something to think about. to be honest, im thinking of converting mine to a single 2.5, because i like the sound of impulsives more than mine haha

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If you want a little lope at idle you'll need extractors.

Even then you wont get a great deal more.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
i got a twin 2.5 redback on mine with no rear resonator. me and impulsive get together fairly often so i can compare my twin with his single, but he has extractors. anyways, from what i can tell the difference, my twin sounds 'smoother' than impulsives, where as his single sounds more beefier and throatier. also on idle, his single is louder. when driving, pretty sure mine is louder, well inside the cabin is louder (drone). performance wise, i think mine would be better (courtesy of impulsesv6), i asked him because he had both, and he said the twin 2.5 gave higher dyno reading, but lost down low rpm. just something to think about. to be honest, im thinking of converting mine to a single 2.5, because i like the sound of impulsives more than mine haha

Let's not get carried away rich, yours is louder but not on idle. The 2.5 twin was too big an I'm sure the yuck sound the x force produced was the reason why he got rid of his, remembering that he also had it on when he was blown. I say twin 2.25 Us the best. Otherwise for sound 2.5" ftw

JShaw

greeeeeeeeen
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Executive
Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it!
I can only find 2.5" twins on ebay for a VZ, stupid question but a single 2.5" CAN be fitted to a V6 VZ right? haha