Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

quick question regarding head units

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
hey all,
i was just wondering if someone could explain all this crap that Pioneer tell me about their head units. Basically they say the come with a 50W x 4 MOSFET amp built in but 50W is still not really enough to pump up my 200W speakers.
This might sound like a stupid question but i am honestly confused.

Cheers in advance guys,
james

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Whats the question? is 50w going to power my 200w speakers properly?

Short answer, yes the head-unit will power your speakers fine.....you might not get every little bit of volume out of the speakers.

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
ok for arguments sake lets examine the Pioneer DEH-3100UB found here: http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/Car Entertainment/CD DVD Players/DEH 3100UB.aspx
"Built in 50W x 4 Channel High-Power MOSFET Amplifier
To minimize voltage loss in its head unit amplifiers, Pioneer built-in high-performance Power MOSFET integrated circuitry into all its head units. The MOSFET amplifier processes signals more efficiently at 50W x 4 maximum total output. This reduces distortion to virtually nothing at high frequency ranges giving you great clear sound. "
is what it says on the page but that wont give me the best sound quality right? because the 50W is only a quarter of what my 200W speakers are capable of running. Also, how do i find out how much wattage the HU puts out? or is it just the 50W from the amp?
does that rephrase it properly?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah mate sorry i didnt understand you in the first post.

Basically youre right, but you will only hear a minor difference by purchasing and installing a 200w per channel amplifier. But then the difference in sound wont justify the cost of the amp / wiring / installation.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Also, how do i find out how much wattage the HU puts out? or is it just the 50W from the amp?
does that rephrase it properly?

50watt per channel, is the maxuimim out put, (or it's peak power PMPO) of the Head units built in amplifier. In terms of RMS (root means square) or it's nominal/continous output, would be around 12-15 watt's RMS per channel.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
First thing, that headunit will not put out 50 watts ever. It is the theoretical maximum, measured in PMPO. Only when playing certain test tones will you get this.

Secondly, are your speakers 200 watts PMPO MAX or RMS? There are not many 200wrms speakers out there.

Most likely, your speakers are somewhere in the range of 20 to 30 wrms, and the headunit will only do 13 to 18 wrms.

You can run 100000000 watt speakers off 10 watt amplifiers. Wattage isn't everything when it comes to audio.

So yes, you can run your speakers off the headunit, and yes it will sound fine.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The Pioneer head units are 22Wrms.

As the others have said, the head unit's internal amp will run any speakers (4ohm+)... It just won't run them as well as separate amplifier.

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
cheers for your answers so far and the speakers are 200 watt max im pretty sure but like anyone else i wanna get the best i can out of them without breaking the bank.
Also speaker wise.. what is the best value for money coaxials? i dont really want splits but any suggestions would be great.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Regarding your coaxial question, are they for the front or rear? what size speakers are you looking at, and will the be amplified?

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
at the moment it will be run of the head unit and they will be 6" possibly 6.5" if they fit and preferably splits because i know how to install them. The head unit from pioneer has a 50W amp in it though if that means anything and they will be front door speakers. i already have a cheap pair of 200w rampage 6" speakers in the back which i might upgrade down along the track