Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick Questions: 2011 Holden Captiva... wanting to buy tomorrow... any advice?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s heaps for sale because back in the day, they were snapped up by mums.

School car park now dominated by Pajeros, Santa Fe.

They too will flood the market in years to come.

In the Craptiva category, maybe a Hyundai ix35?

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
People bag them but I suspect not many of them have actually ever owned one. My neighbour has the turbo diesel and it is very nice to drive, gets great economy and will tow very large loads, (a tractor on a heavy duty car trailer) with out batting an eyelid although the fuel consumption did go up a fair bit with that behind it. As to the ix35, having driven both I would buy the Captiva myself if I was in the market, better acceleration and better handling.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
People bag them but I suspect not many of them have actually ever owned one.

There is a reason most people that know about cars don't own one, because they are a HOS.... Brother is in law had one from new and it had a few things that broke while under warranty. The most major one was a burst heater core. It was in the dealer for almost a week getting that fixed. He was happy to see it gone, fortunately it was a company car so he didn't have to pay anything for it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
People bag them but I suspect not many of them have actually ever owned one. My neighbour has the turbo diesel and it is very nice to drive, gets great economy and will tow very large loads, (a tractor on a heavy duty car trailer) with out batting an eyelid although the fuel consumption did go up a fair bit with that behind it. As to the ix35, having driven both I would buy the Captiva myself if I was in the market, better acceleration and better handling.

someone in our office bought one, car was always broken in some way or another - it was gotten rid of in a year.

i don't need to own a bucket of poop to know it is a bucket of poop.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
there a risk you take when you buy any old car but still see a lot of captivas on the road and if the car is look after and maintain it should last a fair while another is parts are they easy to get both new and 2nd hand

there was car holden sold i think it was the epica you had to pull the engine out to replace the brake master cylinder another thing air bags in it are they takata

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i had one a few years back, the mine was a diesel only issue i had was a starter motor died.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
there a risk you take when you buy any old car but still see a lot of captivas on the road and if the car is look after and maintain it should last a fair while another is parts are they easy to get both new and 2nd hand

there was car holden sold i think it was the epica you had to pull the engine out to replace the brake master cylinder another thing air bags in it are they takata

not always true.

there are in this world lemons, you see lot's of Cruze's on the road too - every auto model is a ticking time bomb.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Captivas were all the rage for a while in my workplace. 6 or 7 at one point. Everyone that had one, no longer have them because reasons already outlined.

PRNDL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 and VH Vacationer 253
I had 2. 06 LX V6 & 09 LX V6. Both for approx 100k kms.
Only issues were both had a battery fail in the first 20-30k kms, and had to replace tyres.
That’s it, otherwise faultless.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had 2. 06 LX V6 & 09 LX V6. Both for approx 100k kms.
Only issues were both had a battery fail in the first 20-30k kms, and had to replace tyres.
That’s it, otherwise faultless.

and this is the flip side of the coin here.

this article from news puts it all in perspective.