Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick rattle after oil change

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
So I just did an oil change and for the first time in 137000km and changes evey 7500km's, I got a 1-2 second rattle upon startup. Should I brace for imminent lifter failure?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I just did an oil change and for the first time in 137000km and changes evey 7500km's, I got a 1-2 second rattle upon startup. Should I brace for imminent lifter failure?

I wouldn't worry too much about a 2 second rattle after draining and refilling the oil and new filter.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
no your motor will be fine , it's just sucking up the new oil, building up oil pressure after a oil change takes a few seconds
one way to make sure it pumps up oil pressure as soon as possible, when you fit a new oil filter fill it 3/4 quarters full with oil.
that will help it pump up pressure a bit quicker,
don't worry a rattle for a sec or two is normal till it reaches full oil pressure

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Knocking probably better describes the sound it made, it wasn't nice. Yes, I should prefill the filter, good advice but what I heard was definately not normal. Just thought it might have been a thirsty ageing lifter.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've heard that noise you describe, kinda scary hey!
Other than prefiling the filter I'm not sure what else you can do.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Oil accumulator? Monstar has mentioned before the benifits (as probably have other members) Regardless, unless an act of God, something with the engine has changed, aged etc for it to be the first time I've had to listen to it suffer. Thanks guys.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've heard that noise you describe, kinda scary hey!
Other than prefiling the filter I'm not sure what else you can do.

I generally disconnect the ignition source and crank the car over, until I get oil pressure....Generally stops the dreaded rattle that is described

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Just hold your foot flat to the floor while cranking engine to build up oil pressure for a couple of lots of 5 seconds. Then on the third time take foot off, car will start...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I just had a lifter scare on my brand new top end. Ends up the anti drain back valve was faulty. No more Ryco for this little black duck

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I just had a lifter scare on my brand new top end. Ends up the anti drain back valve was faulty. No more Ryco for this little black duck
Was that happening every start from the time of the filter install or did the problem develop?