Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

quick vt master cylinder and brake booster question!

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
rb30det VL wagon project, VL series 200
Ok i want to know if a vt 15/16 master cylinder and vt brake booster would be suitable for the brakes i have. i bought them off a guy that works for walkinshaw performance and he said they were off a monaro. i think they are the same as the standard vt ss brakes from looking at them? also is the 15/16master cylinder off a vt any more powerful than the 15/16 in a vl or is it just that the booster is larger on the vt?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
No VTs have a 15/16 master, they are all 1" with a quick fill, so whatever master you have is not a VT one.

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
rb30det VL wagon project, VL series 200
thanks for clearing that up. i havent bought a master cylinder for the brakes yet i was just looking at buying one off a guy i know. sounds like that should be plenty good for the application then. any mods needed to go about fitting it to a vl or is it a straight bolt up?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
No straightup fit you need to modify your old firewall mounting bracket to fit the new booster and the pushrod hole moved forward and 3 brake line adapters...definately worth the trouble....Ive done quite a few...do a search ..you will find how to do it.

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
No straightup fit you need to modify your old firewall mounting bracket to fit the new booster and the pushrod hole moved forward and 3 brake line adapters...definately worth the trouble....Ive done quite a few...do a search ..you will find how to do it.

Im doing this conversion but i cant find any info on how to modify the fire wall and push rod hole to make it fit. can you go into detail or post a link plz?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Original booster bracket off any vb/c/h/k/l/n/p/r
booster2.jpg

cut base here and bend
boosterbracket.jpg

booster3.jpg

Make sure base of old bracket is flat so it can be welded
booster4.jpg

vtboosterbracket-4.jpg

make up this plate to be welded to your original bracket you have bent
booster5.jpg

booster6.jpg

drill booster mounting holes through old bracket.
vtboosterbracket-7.jpg

Heres one I did before painting
bracket2.jpg

Weld up old pedal hole on booster pushrod making sure you protect the internals of the booster from heat/ welding dags etc with wet rags
Mount up new modified bracket and redrill to new dimensions...shorten booster rod also.
vtrod-1A.jpg

Theres a couple of things to do to the master too...if your car is pre vp it will need line adapters screwed into the master cylinder before screwing in your old lines and it will look better also if you fit a vs or au falcon reservoir to the cylinder.
some of these pictures are from jimbos site that now is gone...thanks to jimbo for the picts

Last edited:

vh sle !!!!!

262MANTER
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VB commodore
can just us vs v6 plastic booster with vt master cylinder, much easier, just bolts up

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
you can go plastic booster and cut off or remove the front adjusting screw on the booster to fit the vt cylinder ...theres pros and cons but they only put them on vs's and they are single diaphram and you wont find anything plastic on current models .

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
Just a quick question regarding this mod, I have one of Mark's modified brackets and my booster/master cylinder arrived today so I am looking to fit them up ASAP, my question is instead of welding up the old hole and re drilling a new one in the shaft of the booster could I make up a spacer to go between the mount and the booster to effectively move the original hole closer - approx 7mm spacer needed.

I ask this as I do not have a welder but can make the spacer out of alluminium plate easy as

Sound ok or not?

Thanks
Chris