Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quickest car for $500?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
a tuned memcal for vn-vs v6's and v8's probably best bang for your buck you can get, check ur pm inbox

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
the skyline weighs more than the VL

HOLY CRAP!!!
I was looking to prove you wrong but... Thank you!!!

I was certain that the r31 was lighter but upon further inspection I was WRONG!

I do know that my girlfriend and her sister-in-law have an r31 and I don't know why but they both have more pickup and go than any stock VL i have ever driven (n/a of course)

For those of you interested the kerb weight of an

R31 6 cyl GX auto is 1340kg
Image:Vehicle dimensions.jpg - R31info

vs

VL Commodore SL 1250kg
holden_commodore_VL_technical_specifications

Learn something new everyday

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
I'd make it a manual if possible, with that many kms/condition of a $500 car the auto would be nice and worn which would be a significant disadvantage.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
HOLY CRAP!!!
I was looking to prove you wrong but... Thank you!!!

I was certain that the r31 was lighter but upon further inspection I was WRONG!

I do know that my girlfriend and her sister-in-law have an r31 and I don't know why but they both have more pickup and go than any stock VL i have ever driven (n/a of course)

Learn something new everyday
might be because skyline run a higher diff ratio like 3.9's i think they got
I'd make it a manual if possible, with that many kms/condition of a $500 car the auto would be nice and worn which would be a significant disadvantage.

well i bought my vn wagon for $300 has just over 350,000k's on it. Auto has a trans cooler i think has been rebuilt at one point (has big towbar suggest it had been used for towing) shifts quite hard into 1st but all shifts are firm and quick. beats alot of cars up to 80 no worries beaten many a v8, new commodores, ba falcons including mates ute and some radom in a ba wagon who thought that the shotgun lane would put him in front proved him wrong :)
I mostly attribute this to the commodore auto theyre very quick off the mark but it goes to show you can get a good car for under $500

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i'd just rock up to the event with a hire car, 500 bucks should get ya somethn nice for a day!

fmx300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
My gearbox and clutch just went in the daily drive so dont think the race will be on for awhile...thanks for all the help anyways tohugh