Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quickest V6 - again

B

BOV

Pretender said:
Holden Commodore VS
Year of Introduction: 1995
Engine: 3.8 litre EFI V6 ; 5.0 V8 EFI
Power: 145kW (V6) & 165kW (V8)
Transmission: 5 speed manual & 4 speed Turbohydramatic
Performance: 0 - 100 km/h 8.9 seconds (V6) ; Standing 400 metres 16.3 seconds (V6)
Production: 250,000
Price: $26,780
Id read those with a grain of salt, VS ecotec produces 147 kw not 145.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Weight

I can't remember the exact weights but I was surprised to hear, more than once, that the VN was lighter than the VL. I have a magazine relating solely to the VN development so I'll dig it out and see if the comparison is shown.
Unless someone out there knows for sure and posts it before I do.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
i thought the vk was the lightest of the lot

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think without the V6 installed the VN is about the same weight as a VL without it's motor but I reckon the VN is heavy all together :)?. The earlier Commodores were lighter and it makes sense the VK was the lightest since it had less steel on it, but I bet some of those VBs-VHs are pretty light now days : ) with super light weight racing doors and front chassis rails : )

Anyway, the quickest V6 now is the sporty version of the VZ : ) so the VN series one lost it's crown allready

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dreaming

Yes the VN has had it's glory taken. Oh well it lasted a long while.
If I had the money I'd love to buy the new V6 sporty. Unfortunately I don't but I can squint at my car and pretend. Fortunately I love my VN and it was cheap. $600 not running and no brakes but licensed. $15.00 for a brake booster hose and insert and a piece of vacuum hose from the shed and it hasn't given me any trouble other than a backfire when using BP Gas and the rattly CAT. Touch wood.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If I had 40 grand to spare I wouldn't touch a VZ V6 with a 50 foot pole, I'd be down talking to the ever popular Ford salesman : ) asking for a deal on a Turbo XR6. It's going to go down in history as the craziest machine Ford ever made. Just wait 5 years or so till they get cheaper secondhand and the majority of them will be running 12 seconds or better on the 1/4 mile, it will be a revelation, a second comming of the insanely fast Australian muscle car : ). I've allways loved Holdens but you've got to give it to Ford on the BA, looks great, goes great, they won that round :thumbsup:

If only it weighed 1300kgs :) now that would be something

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
So True

I have never given the Fords much thought until the BA was released. I think it looks better than any Commodore.
I think I would buy one over a Commodore. There are a lot of different reports going around about the Turbo, good and bad, but nobody can argue with the stats.
I think the bad reports are written by disgruntled Commodore fans as they tend to list a lot of petty excuses for why it's not as good as the Holden.

czerwonyVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.8 A4
a well run in engine (without any excessive wear) will be more powerful and smoother than brand new.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Wouldn't care how fast a XR6 Ford was, I would rather push my Holden then buy a Ford.

B

BOV

2Fast2FuriousDude said:
Wouldn't care how fast a XR6 Ford was, I would rather push my Holden then buy a Ford.
Mate seriously Ford and Holden, EXACTLY the same QUALITY and exactly the same MARKET appeal. Why are you so against Fords? If you owned a BMW or Merc and bagged a Ford/Holden then fair enough because Ford and Holden dont compare to the Euros cos quiet frankly in comparison Ford and Holden make crap. If I could afford a 50 K car do you really think Id be driving a 7 K commodore?
One thing Fords and Holdens have is speed for cheap price...