Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quickly add extra circuit for gps, radar etc

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
A lot of people have complained about the lack of a front dash lighter/power socket on the VEs that don't have the smokers pack installed.

Personally I just added a $10 socket in the front and wired it to the plug for the smokers pack which is tucked away under the radio head unit behind the left side drivers kick panel. It only has power on this circuit when the ignition is on so no battery drain etc. I use a small Belkin mini charger but you still have a wire running up the dash to your accessory GPS, radar etc.

For those that want a more permanent and hidden solution you can obviously hard wire either to the smokers pack plug or one of the accessory looms behind the glove box if you know what you are doing and/or want a continuos power feed.

Recently however I found a neat little plug that allows you to add another circuit at the fuse box in a couple of seconds.
It is called Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit and basically you replace a blade fuse with this fuse adaptor which then has two fuse terminals on top, one for the original circuit fuse and another separate fuse dedicated for the new feed circuit that comes off it.
This way you can very simply pick an existing circuit (up to 10 amps) based on whatever you need eg. power on full time, only while lights on, only while ignition on etc.
You can find the right circuit to tap into by looking at the fuse box diagram which is much easier than trying to trace wires and certainly easier and safer than splicing into wires under the dash.

Yes I know that with computer circuit load balancing etc you still have to be careful about which circuit you tap into but for a quick easy solution that is also easily removed later if needed I don't think its too bad.

You can get them all over the net but one place I found that explains them well is Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit Fuseholder for ATO/ATC Fuses | Parts-Express.com

The manufacturer site
http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/FHM02FHA02.pdf

Add-A-Circuit.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
what a great find, just what i need to power my GPS. Thanks!

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Radar? Are you doing a flying conversion and planning on engaging in dog fights?

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
radar detector

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I think Csp got what OP was saying... just being a smartarse :).

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.......................... .......
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
wow :).

Every time I see these things I always wonder who was the person that actually sat there and made it.... must be very bored in computer class or something :).

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
hahaha pretty much

cno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II Berlina
A lot of people have complained about the lack of a front dash lighter/power socket on the VEs that don't have the smokers pack installed.

Personally I just added a $10 socket in the front and wired it to the plug for the smokers pack which is tucked away under the radio head unit behind the left side drivers kick panel. It only has power on this circuit when the ignition is on so no battery drain etc. I use a small Belkin mini charger but you still have a wire running up the dash to your accessory GPS, radar etc.

Thanks for the info, is there a procedure anywhere for removing the kick panel? I have only had my car for two weeks and have no idea how to get it off, it's a 2012 series II SV6

ps, or for getting in behind the glovebox

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
You don't have to remove the kick panel to install a piggy back fuse, just slide back the fuse cover.