Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quiery for VX manual owners

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Does it come from the gearbox, or does it sound like a clunk coming from the driveline?

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have a clunk coming from the gearbox aswell as the driveline. Gearbox, clutch and flywheel all been replaced recently. Driveline has been checked out, all is fine just a bit more than normal play in the driveshaft and diff. Someone else checked it out and said the splined extention is loose, what the hell is that!?

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
When you are reversin down the driveway and push the clutch in, does it clunk? If so, you are not the only one. I get it when im reversing, or driving up
the driveway in 1st and engage the clutch. I find if i ease the clutch in slowly there is no noise at all, but push it in fast while in motion the driveline clunks while
taking up the slack. I have taken in to a trusted mechanic, and its been taken out of the car and looked at, there is a bit of free play in it, but ive been told
there is nothing im to worry about. I also get this noise when if crusing along slowly in a low gear, and punch the accelerator and back off, it will clunk as the
driveline takes up the slack.

Ive had it checked by Holden on a few occasions and all road testers have been able to create the noise without me telling them how to.... nature of the manual
apparently.....

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yes, i get all of that too mate. Sometimes it really annoys the crap out of me. I just hate the way its always making a noise of somesort. Good thing is i've been told that the clunking is normal so i suppose thats a good thing.

There is a seperate thread on this topic but do u get the rattle in ur gearbox when u turn off ur ignition??

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Yes, i get all of that too mate. Sometimes it really annoys the crap out of me. I just hate the way its always making a noise of somesort. Good thing is i've been told that the clunking is normal so i suppose thats a good thing

Yep, know how you feel mate. Had my car now for 15 months.... and it quite literally drove me insane to begin with thinkin there was something wrong, but now
its something ive learned to live with. As i said, i found if you ease the clutch in slowly while in reverse or 1st gear in the driveway, or parking etc it will hardly make
a noise or none at all.

There is a seperate thread on this topic but do u get the rattle in ur gearbox when u turn off ur ignition??

I get some noise, but i dont think its the gearbox rattling..... more just the engine cutting out sort of noises

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
One other thing while i think of it, i get a rattle if im reversing up even a slight incline, let alone a steep hill. Do u?? :unsure:

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Never actually had to try that yet to be honest, driveway is flat...

I did get a rattle the other day tho while i was driving back from SA, stopped on a hill for traffic lights, hit the friction point to take off in 1st and it was rattling
a little bit....... yet hasnt done it since that day, im dumb founded to that one, but i guess ill worry about it more when it happens constantly.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Well i cant think of anymore questions for ya so thanks for answering my quieries. Been a big help and put my mind to rest on a few issues. Thanks bud :thumbsup:

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
no worries man :)

Im sure a few others here have the same sort of noise with the driveline backlash, i guess
its something we have to sacrifice to enjoy having a manual transmission.

I know I wouldnt go to an auto for it :p ....... its just a shame, but from what I hear, the
autos suffer from it aswel from time to time, just not as noticable compared to the manual
as its always engaging the driveline.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thats a great way of looking at it. Yes i wouldn't sacrifice the manual either. Anyway thanks again for ur help :wave: