Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quiet Tyres

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
I have had this posted for 2 months on the Ford Forum without 1 reply, very disappointing lot over there.

I am after a quiet tyre replacement for my 2009 XR6. It now has the Dunlop Sport 01
( the supplied factory tyre ).

I have done 49,000 on them, still has 4mm tread and are 6 years old.

I would buy them again but they are no longer produced.

After a lot of reading and research / reviews, I have come up with a short list in the $210 to $240 class tyres.

Michelin Primacy 3 ST

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Dunlop Sport FM800

Has any Forum members had any recent experience with these in a 245 x 17 x 45 size ?

I run Bridgestone T001’s on my Commodore which are very quiet, but unfortunately they do not do a T001 in this size.

I would be interested in any informed comment.

Cheers all

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
hi
i know its a different size but i fitted Michelin Pilot Sport 4's to my calais a couple of months ago and i love them. excellent performance and so quiet compared to the yokohama decibels i had on my previous car and heaps quieter than the stock turanzas that the car came with.they are the best tyre i have ever driven on. my size was 245x40x19. i would buy these again in a heartbeat. good luck
cheers
warrick

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have the pirellis in a similar size. They last me 4 years and roughly the same ks as yours.
They are quiet and handle well wet or dry unless you just stomp on the gas pulling out of a corner from a stand still. Stopping power is very good.
I heard they were changing them or stopping that model?
Treadwear number is 260 I think, what's the rating on your Dunlops?

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies, I will be looking at the Michelins and Pirellis and if Bridgestone has a 4 for 3 offer, I will look at them as well.

Hold'n on

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
An old thread I know, but will add input for those seeking information in future.
I have a 2003 VY Berlina with 16 x 7 inch original mags.
I have just replaced four Michelin Primacy 3 ST's I put on the vehicle 41,000km ago.
I went the cheaper option with 215/60R16 instead of the 225/55R16.
Both sizes are listed as suitable on the tyre size sticker inside the drivers door.
Bob Jane priced matched Tempe Tyres as I will be travelling to Sydney in two weeks time, which amounted to quite a saving.

Tyres were quiter than Toyo Teo's that were on vehicle before them.
Original purpose for changing to Michelin Primacy 3 ST's was due to front end slides each time I went over the ranges between Tamworth and Forster, and Tamworth to Port Macquarie. Very unsettling when you have children in the vehicle with you.

In the 41,000km I have had the Michelin Primacy 3 ST's on the vehicle, I have only had one front end slide and that was when I was in the vehicle on my own trying to find the point at which they would let go. Very easy recovery from slide as it was just a case of backing off the accelerator until the front tyres caught again.

They are touring tyres, not sports tyres, but inspire confidence.
Replaced tyres at 41,000km as the shoulders had worn to legal depth and had aquaplaned twice travelling between Armidale and Tamworth in torrential rain some months back, which was something they hadn't done previously.
Also noticed the tyres appeared to had grown a little noisier near end-of-life.

Had originally run tyres at 36psi as recommended by Bob Jane's.
Nearing end-of-life I had gradually increased pressures to 42psi to gain more even wear.
Will be running tyres at 40psi, and have since been informed that is what local taxi's are running their tyres at.

I was hoping to find a tyre with equivalent grip and handling that would last to 50,000km, but after doing the research I replaced the Michelin Primacy 3 ST's with same as I didn't find anything better. Wheel alignment was a little out and may have contributed to some premature wear.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tyre noise is pretty much a non-issue from quality tyres from reputable brands (not budget tyres) assuming the tyres are non directional. I'd be more concerned about wet performance than noise though.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
An old thread I know, but will add input for those seeking information in future.
I have a 2003 VY Berlina with 16 x 7 inch original mags.
I have just replaced four Michelin Primacy 3 ST's I put on the vehicle 41,000km ago.
I went the cheaper option with 215/60R16 instead of the 225/55R16.
Both sizes are listed as suitable on the tyre size sticker inside the drivers door.
Bob Jane priced matched Tempe Tyres as I will be travelling to Sydney in two weeks time, which amounted to quite a saving.

Bob Jane can get their tyres through Tempe tyres wholesale division....So the price match thing is really a mute thing to get your business...

Oh and most tyre shops can get tyres through Tempe tyres wholesale division...So the price match thing is a sales speil

Last edited:

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Thank you for your replies. As an update and information for all.

I purchased a set of the Dunlop FM800's on a 4 for 3 deal.

Narrow choice over the Pirelli Dragonsports and paying an extra $50 per tyre to go to a Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

Finally got round to testing these Dunlop FM800 tyres in the wet recently after the administrator of the AFF forum questioned their wet weather grip.

They now have 6,000 Klm's on them.

I went to a quiet and deserted industrial estate on a week end with some round abouts.
It was raining ( still rare in SW Sydney ) and I pushed it around these round abouts with a little throttle to try and spin the rear end.

They hung on and did not break traction.

I then pushed harder on a round about ( approaching hoon effort ) and the rear actually broke traction. It seemed to "hop" once and then gripped. Not sure if this was due to the traction control operating.

Obviously a Turbo XR6, XR8 or V8 Commodore would have broken traction easier, these tryes are probably not the best choice on such cars with big torque on tap in the wet.

I am of the opinion that for normal driving in a N/A Falcon, or a Commodore V6, these FM800's are OK in the wet and excellent in the dry.

They are so quiet, they have transformed my XR6 into a classy drive.

On a wear note, I have a digital tyre depth gauge. When new, these tyres went 8.5 mm tread depth. Just did another check at 6,000 klm. The back tyres were down to about 7.5 mm and the fronts about 8.0 mm. The wear on the back looks a little excessive to me. 1.0 mm for 6000 klms.

At this rate, I cannot see me getting 50,000 klm out of these like I got from the Dunlop SP01's.

I run them at 260 KPA. ( cold pressure ).

I am still very happy with them.

My VX II Commodore is now due for tyres. I am sure the Dunlop FM800's will be OK on the Commodore to replace the Turanza T001's.

The new Thailand produced T001's are not as long wearing as the Japanese produced set I had.

This will be a tough choice, either stay with the Bridgestone Turanza T001's or go for the FM800's.

The Turanza T001's are $20 to $25 dearer per tyre over the FM 800's in a 215 X 60 x 16.

I have been happy with the T001's apart from the wear issue of the Thai produced ones.

Before I get the new tyres, I have to replace the front struts after 280,000 KLMs.