Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

quote for exhaust seems to cheap & will it drone?

Harrison

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VYII 3.8L A4
redback 2 1/2" catback exhaust to suit 04 VY S2 exec.
was quoted $380 installed with rear sports muffler or $320 installed with straight through pipe. ($420 with twin but i dont want my car to look like something it isnt)
i can get any of it $40 cheaper to install myself but am unfamiliar with the process so is it something easy to do? i have plenty of tools and know alot about hardware just not the bottom of my car, cant really see under it with the current springs.

does this seem like a good price? its the best ive got so far
and which system would be better for an AUTO V6

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Go for the $380 option , without the rear muffler it will sound awful. Your car is a Non Supercharged v6 I take it. Remember youre buying the exhaust from the Cat converter back, not the whole system, so make sure the system pipes/cat from the engine to the cat is serviceable & not rusty or holed or leaking. Removal / installation from the Cat Back is fairly easy , a few bolts to undo & a couple of rubber grommets to unhook. You may not get a Chrome tip on the end though. Jack up car at the rear & support on stands at least 600mm will get you good access to the system.

Anth1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais
I paid that exact price mate and got exactly that , only drones when you've got your foot down at a reasonable speed otherwise I don't notice it. sounds good too :) so go with the $380 deal

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I can do that system for $180 without rear resonator or $240 with, supplied only, plus $35 shipping.

Harrison

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VYII 3.8L A4
I can do that system for $180 without rear resonator or $240 with, supplied only, plus $35 shipping.

hey man i sent you a pm (can you also add into the pm some prices on extractors)
i'll get back to you asap.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
If it makes a nice growl when u put ur foot down, then its gonna drone. The first month is the worst, after a while it goes to a nicer deeper tone.
Mine drones its worst at 2500 rpm. much lower than that its pretty quiet, much higher and its epic
Just a tradeoff, to get a nice overall sound, u have to put up with whichever rpm band drones the cabin out

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
Go for the twin staggered tips, anything in a single looks rather crap with the VY shape.

-Nick.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Extractors will reduce the drone as well.

Anth1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais
Extractors will reduce the drone as well.

also interested in how much you can supply extractors for. and do extractors make much of a difference to performance and sound? or only 1 of the 2?