Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

R.I.P. Bob Hawke

M

mwb235

I wasn't old enough to vote/not vote for him, but he was a decent bloke. Shorten, Gillard, Rudd, et al don't even come close to him. Hawke was prolly Labor's best PM after Chifley, but like eveything political it's open to debate. At least Bob Hawke was genuine, unlike the recent Labor leaders of the last decade or two.

I can imagine Bob Hawke now standing at the Pearly Gates and saying "Any god who doesn't let a former Aussie PM into heaven, is a bum!"

R.I.P.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There's a lot of people who worked in the airline industry in 1989, that wouldn't agree with you...

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
There's a lot of people who worked in the airline industry in 1989, that wouldn't agree with you...

Yes, how right you are my friend. There were a lot of people out of work with that.
I knew pilots who just up and left Australia to fly aircraft with various airlines in Europe and Asia.
And it would be so good if we were able to have a chat with Hazel for a day. I'm sure people would be absolutely shocked.

M

mwb235

Fair enough too, folks. I also remember how high the interest rates on my parents mortgage got in the late 80's. And all the poor Geelong people with the Pyramid Building Society collapse (blame both Vic state Labor under Cain/Kirner and federal Labor under Hawke). Vic took years to recover and it took Kennett's sometimes severe service cuts in the 90's to do it. That is generally the way it goes - Labor spends, Liberals fix (OP puts flame suit on). Ooops, I just got political...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You are supposed to forget the high % rates, ( I can't) and other associated things like the Button Plan for 'levelling the playing field' for imported cars.
People also forget that Bill Hayden was supposed to win the PM hat in that election (from Malcolm Fraser) that Bob took away from him. That Bill had done the hard yards, and was a nice bloke who got knifed before he got be PM.
To me, Bob was a disappointment as PM, he should have achieved more, he had the numbers and clout, but seemed to be satisfied by just wearing the big hat.
Since Gough, there has only been Little Johnny, who has my respect. Ooops, I just got political also..

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
h9d5s1j.jpg

irI3JAB.jpg

R.I.P.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I honestly don't give a rats arse about politics because personally I think that politicians are professional liars, back stabbers & two faced bullshit artists that only give a f#$k about themselves
Bob Hawke's passing has got me thinking though, who are the media going to broadcast next year sculling a schooner at the Australia Day Test Match now that he has passed on...……..Some has been politician needs to step up and takeover the tradition

R.I.P Bob Hawke

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bob Hawke's passing has got me thinking though, who are the media going to broadcast next year sculling a schooner at the Australia Day Test Match now that he has passed on...……..Some has been politician needs to step up and takeover the tradition

R.I.P Bob Hawke

Scott Morrison!!!!!....Saw a picture in the paper today, where he had a beer in his hand at the footy on Sunday....:)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Scott Morrison!!!!!....Saw a picture in the paper today, where he had a beer in his hand at the footy on Sunday....:)
Maybe human after all.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
"By 1990, no Australian child will be living in poverty,"
He was just another sell out politician like every other muppet thats been giving the country away my whole life I hate everyone of them.