Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Race Engine Mechanic Apprenticeship Advice Please

WRKD3.8L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Hi all,

I'm currently in year 12 now, finishing my HSC and are considering my career options, I am thinking about doing something within the race engine industry hopefully. The dream would be a place like Castle Hill Performance, but I can only imagine how many years experience you would need to even apply there.

Basically, I am after some advice from anyone in the race engine industry and how competitive it is etc etc. Perhaps even someone in the sydney region?

Any advice is welcome!

Cheers!

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
My advice is do something in the industry but dont get on the tools.
Your best option imo would have been to leave school in year ten and do your light vehical apprenticeship.
That way you would have been going onto your third year in the trade when you left year 12.

Seriously though, its dirty work and unless you own your own business, its really hard to make much money.
Eg a qualified mechanic base wage is around 850 take home a week. You can earn 1000 a week been a labourer with nothing to worry about at the end of the day.
Castle hill performance could take you on as an apprentice, no harm in asking. It doesn't matter how long you've been in the industry, you just need to be good at it and the enthusiasts will come.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
An apprenticeship at a dealer or shop that actually races is a good place to get a start but you have to stand out, most of the stuff that matters is learnt, not taught like basic mechanic stuff.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I'd be looking into the automotive engineering too.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Go in and maybe ask to do a few weeks of unpaid work. Show your enthusiasm. If they're pleased with your development in the work they may even put you on.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Get some proper industry experience, then try shifting fields. I'm not sure how much time they would have in a place like that to teach you fully, and what your skill set would be like if you were ever to need to try get a job as a general mechanic.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

WRKD3.8L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Ok, thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

I think what I need to do is some work experience as Wombles said, to really get to know what I'm getting into.

Cheers!

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Well for most of your first year, unless your in a small work shop, you'll be moping floors cleaning out funnels etc and cleaning tools.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Go in and maybe ask to do a few weeks of unpaid work.

not possible sadly. no such thing legally as unpaid work. if a company takes on a "volunteer" and they get injured, waaaaay too much risk of workcover shutting the place down, so no shops will take the risk.

no harm in asking, but i doubt youll find a place willing to do that.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Or get 5 bucks a day... Like you get in VCAL work placement.