Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rack end removal

fordsuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
Hi all, is it possible to replace the power steering rack ends on a vr without removing the whole rack???????

jace123

jckoolio
Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 94 VR Executive
good question... i don't think so. i just removed mine... if there is a way i didn't see it

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
any one replaced their rack ends recently? im due for mine soon, well parts are on order and next week i'll be attempting this.

can this be done on the car? tips tricks, my elleries manual doesnt list replacing the rack ends, only tie rods (which im doing also).

do you need a tool at all for removing the rack ends?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
yeah, a large shifter and a pair of vice grips... steady the rack and unscrew the ends...

aZk.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
lol sweet thanks azk

BlackThunda

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ Maloo Ute TT
If you are talking about the tie rod ends that connect to the wheel hub, then yes they can be replaced. Simply use a shifter (not best tool) and crack the nuts that are behind the actual tie rod ends so that it is not secure against the tie rod end anymore. Once the nut on both sides have been loosened un-do the nuts holding the tie rod end to the stub and remove tie rod end. :D

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
The rack ends, which go from the rack to the tie rod ends are easy as... they just screw in!

There is a lock washer, you need to bend the pins out before you can crack the thread, you'll need new ones. But yeah, after you bend the lock washer pins out, steady the rack then undo the rack ends, make sure you dont put to much pressure on the ps rack at any time.

Try to have as little of the spline out of the rack as you work on each end.

There is no special tool for this...

aZk.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
so the rack ends arent actually the steering rack ends, its just the 'tierod part' that screws into the end of the rack. makes more sense, i had thought it was part of the steering rack itself. happy days :)

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Make sure you mark the tierod ends so you know where to screw it back on to!!!
They can be mongrels to get out... I would advise you to get a ball joint remover.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Rack ends... I need to do this. Got 1 new tie rod end in already, other one is fine but will replace anyway.. but rack ends have got play and steering knocks around on rough ground.... :( Any tips for young players on where's the best place to get em / good brand etc? Or just grab whatever I can find? :)