Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RACV Roadside Assist A Rip Off

damechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EQUIPE
Hi all I would like to inform you all that if you have RACV roadside Assist Do not ever have your car serviced or change parts. To my amazement I ran for road side assist and was refused because I had done work on my car. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, plug’s leads, and plugs and flushed the motor. My Holden VX that has just been bought about two weeks ago so I done all of the things that you do when you want your car to be in best possible condition that you possibly can. Because I admitted to have doing work on my car they refused to help me with cooling fans ( I do not have the computer to test the mcu and other components)I am a qualified mechanic and even if I would of had the work done in a work shop they still would refuse to help you with your problem, they will only offer you a tow. This is with gold cover also. I hope that this post is ok and in the right place

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ive not had a problem with racv roadside assist, though i only use them for the tow.

put yourself on the other end of the phone, you've just been told that this guys a "qualified mechanic"(every man and his dog is "qualified" these days), and hes done all this work to his car, and now somethings wrong with it. they can either send someone out to attempt to fix a possible cluster ####, or offer a tow, and have it looked at by one of their recommended qualified mechanics.

all their roadside mechanics might be busy on other jobs, and only have tow truck drivers free.

id side with racv in this instance.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
raa is the same, I found if you act like a idiot or someone dumb you get looked after better,

never never never say you worked on the car, I had the same problem once many years ago and they refused to even look at the car,another time they couldn't find the problem so my stepfather and I did

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
Its sort of in their title "roadside assist" they arnt a fix whatever you have broken. Just quietly if your a mechanic shouldn't you know some people in the industry who have access to the computers you need?

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
My father has been an RACV member for over 30 years.. Very rarely does he call on them, however when the Land Cruiser broke down on a family holiday, they organised and paid for a replacement 4wd to tow the caravan, one nights accomodation whilst they waited for the 4wd to be driven to them. They continued with the holiday in the hire 4wd whilst the stricken Toyota was towed to a nearby workshop in Sale, Vic and repaired. They only thing my father had to pay for was parts on the repair, which totalled something like $180.00

I should also note that he did a lot of his own work on the Land Cruiser previous to this incident.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I had occasion to use the RACV roadside assist twice recently - found them nothing but very helpful. I'd like to hear the RACV's side of the OP's story.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Only time i've ever had a need to call RACV out was over 8 years ago, trying to get an oil filter off a camry or something in a mates garage, we didnt have the right size filter tool and it was EXTREMLY tight. Screwdriver through the filter didnt help but to rip it up and make it so it cut your hands when you tried to spin it.

So called RACV out, and he got there and said that normally he wouldnt help because of the implications, and he made it very clear to us that he would get the filter off, but any damage that was caused or found afterwards he wouldnt be held responsible for because we'd been ####ing with it previously.

He got it off in about 2 minutes with the right sized strap, car was fine.

They're a roadside emergency service not a backup when you cant work something out yourself.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Hi all I would like to inform you all that if you have RACV roadside Assist Do not ever have your car serviced or change parts. To my amazement I ran for road side assist and was refused because I had done work on my car. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, plug’s leads, and plugs and flushed the motor. My Holden VX that has just been bought about two weeks ago so I done all of the things that you do when you want your car to be in best possible condition that you possibly can. Because I admitted to have doing work on my car they refused to help me with cooling fans ( I do not have the computer to test the mcu and other components)I am a qualified mechanic and even if I would of had the work done in a work shop they still would refuse to help you with your problem, they will only offer you a tow. This is with gold cover also. I hope that this post is ok and in the right place

Sooooo, your a mechanic and you called the RACV to run a code scan? No wonder the refused you.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've been an RACV, RACQ & RACWA member since 1987 and have always found them very helpful (both insurance & roadside assist). They have been a real saviour in some instances. So no, not a rip off at all imo.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I love them! When my wife runs out of fuel... she doesn't bother calling me anymore!