Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RACV Roadside Assist A Rip Off

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
cant complain about them at all.
that's with Total Care btw. pretty smart birthday present that everyone in the family gets for their 18th.

whenever something has gone wrong (twice now actually maybe 3 times) rang them up, and they have been nothing but help.
both times it has been a tow.
both times it needed to get back to a workshop.
actually there was a 3rd time, and 2 out of the 3 times ive been out front of supercheap stores :p

if your ringing them up for something menial then stiff, they have a job to do, they aren't your mechanic, they are there to help you get to your mechanic.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
they aren't your mechanic, they are there to help you get to your mechanic.

That about sums it up and if you're a mechanic, then job done! They've far exceeded your wait time expectation, don't forget to leave a tip ;)

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
NRMA Roadside Assist (same ****, different state) in NSW been fantastic.

I have drained my battery working on the car couple times, battery died again and offered to help out even though my policy had expired couple weeks earlier, helped me when had no car jack etc etc etc.
Nothing but praise from me.

Mind you, i dont call em to read ECU codes off my car, that instead is done by a mobile mechanic.

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Don't know about RACV, but I'm with the RAA in SA and I think it depends on the bloke you get. Once in my mates car and the key wouldn't turn, he came out, ripped the car half apart and got it going again for us. Second time a mates car just stopped, he came out found out the coil packs had gone and organised a tow. Third time my car broke a valve spring, he looked over the car but couldn't work it out so organised a tow. and fourth time out of fuel and they bring a jerry can out.

All in all I've always found RAA great, they fix it where they can, or organise a tow home..

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
what some people don't understand is that RAC and the like are not mobile mechanics. it's called roadside ASSIST because they are there to ASSIST you and get you going again or to get you and the car home or to your destination. the work they do on your car is to get it off the side of the road and is usually only a temporary fix and it's the owner's responsibility to arrange to have the permanent repairs carried out asap.

my mum had a 2008 lancer that nearly caught fire because of a electrical fault that melted and burnt the body loom in her car leaving it un-drivable. she called RAC to fix it (car was parked at home) they came and took a look and they said no because they are not auto electricians and that she should not have expected them to fix it because it's already at home and that the point of the service is to get the car off the side of the road. even if it was on the side of the road all they could have done was organise a tow anyway. she was pissed, ranted on just like the OP and cancelled the service because she's stubborn and thinks they where in the wrong and therefore where not entitled to her business. I told her tough **** and don't call me when you're stuck.

I got 6 months free roadside assist too through AHG when I bought my newer statesman. it's always good to know that I won't ever be stranded.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Damn, I was gonna strip my motor and buy all new parts and then ring them and tell em it wont start so they can rebuild it for me!!!

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hi all I would like to inform you all that if you have RACV roadside Assist Do not ever have your car serviced or change parts. To my amazement I ran for road side assist and was refused because I had done work on my car. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, plug’s leads, and plugs and flushed the motor. My Holden VX that has just been bought about two weeks ago so I done all of the things that you do when you want your car to be in best possible condition that you possibly can. Because I admitted to have doing work on my car they refused to help me with cooling fans ( I do not have the computer to test the mcu and other components)I am a qualified mechanic and even if I would of had the work done in a work shop they still would refuse to help you with your problem, they will only offer you a tow. This is with gold cover also. I hope that this post is ok and in the right place

Seriously forgive me if this is a stupid question... But WTF is an MCU?

Being a mechanic, what exactly was your problem?

damechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EQUIPE
The reason I needed help from the RACV was because I moved back to Melbourne after living in WA for seven years and when I came back to Melbourne everything had changed.. I do not know much about electrics only engines and I done my apprenticeship. With the MMTB Melbourne Metropolitan Tram Ways Board in the early 80’s also known as the MTA. Unfortunately I do not know anyone that has the computer to test my VX. Yes anyone and everyone can say that they are a mechanic, however I asked him to wait and let me get my trade certificates and thank to everyone whom as taken the time to answer my post.. I really appreciate it Yes I learnt my leason never tell the truth and act stupid.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
NRMA Roadside Assist (same ****, different state) in NSW been fantastic.

I have drained my battery working on the car couple times, battery died again and offered to help out even though my policy had expired couple weeks earlier, helped me when had no car jack etc etc etc.
Nothing but praise from me.
Mind you, i dont call em to read ECU codes off my car, that instead is done by a mobile mechanic.

+ 1 to NRMA, I have insurance with them but I don't have the roadside assist. My missus took the little fella to preschool one day and when she was putting my 8mth old daughter in the car she let her play with the keys as she was getting strapped in, missus shuts door, realises daughter has keys, goes to open door and the little bugger hit the lock button, 29 degree day, she's trapped in the car, missus freaks out calls me, I call NRMA and even tho I have no roadside policy they sent the closest tech out to break into the car, no damage, and no charge, something to remember for those of you with kids. Glad she didn't call the cops they would have just smashed a window.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
+ 1 to NRMA, I have insurance with them but I don't have the roadside assist. My missus took the little fella to preschool one day and when she was putting my 8mth old daughter in the car she let her play with the keys as she was getting strapped in, missus shuts door, realises daughter has keys, goes to open door and the little bugger hit the lock button, 29 degree day, she's trapped in the car, missus freaks out calls me, I call NRMA and even tho I have no roadside policy they sent the closest tech out to break into the car, no damage, and no charge, something to remember for those of you with kids. Glad she didn't call the cops they would have just smashed a window.

This would work out better for them anyway as usually you get a free glass piece (windscreen etc.) per year so their saving having to buy a new piece of glass for replacement.