Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RACV Roadside Assist A Rip Off

damechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EQUIPE
Damn, I was gonna strip my motor and buy all new parts and then ring them and tell em it wont start so they can rebuild it for me!!!
Now that would be a stupid thing to do :)

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
This would work out better for them anyway as usually you get a free glass piece (windscreen etc.) per year so their saving having to buy a new piece of glass for replacement.

I don't think that mattered, they said anytime they get a call about a kid stuck in a car it's free of charge whether you have insurance with them or not.

damechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EQUIPE
Anyway RACV Finally came out and fixed the problem.. A bloody relay was the problem... now the secondary fan works and the engine will not cook.

Last edited:

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
My mum had the racv out for a dead battery. He checked and said it was dead. But instead of convincing us to get a battery through them, he "didn't" tell us us to go to battery world and get a new battery for $90 cheaper!

I think they are great and every time she has needed help, they've been quick and haven't taken advantage of a woman with no mechanical knowledge.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Well , in NZ we have the AA , I have only called had to call them once , about 12 years ago , the guy who came out was extremely helpful and diagnosed the issue in about 3 minutes , ( a stuffed coil pack ) , wasn't able to be fixed on site , they arranged a tow back to my mechanic , and the guy's there said exactly the same thing.
I guess in the odd instance they cant keep everyone happy and probably the odd person expects way to much .

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
So you worked on your car and called roadside assist to help you finish the job?

Clearly you have no idea what their service is for. While you are wasting their time others in genuine need who have a flat battery or have broken down have to wait longer.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Anyway RACV Finally came out and fixed the problem.. A bloody relay was the problem... now the secondary fan works and the engine will not cook.

A "qualified mechanic" who cant diagnose or check relays? Wow...how pathetic.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
What a stupid thread.

RACV roadside have been helpful the few times I have used them.

Which was when I was stuck on the "roadside" and needed "assistance".

They are not a diagnostics service for people who evidently rate their skills beyond what they are.

Seriously, I am NOT a "qualified" mechanic but when my e30 was having start up issues I didn't need to call out RACV to tell me to check the relays.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Well , in NZ we have the AA , I have only called had to call them once , about 12 years ago , the guy who came out was extremely helpful and diagnosed the issue in about 3 minutes , ( a stuffed coil pack ) , wasn't able to be fixed on site , they arranged a tow back to my mechanic , and the guy's there said exactly the same thing.
I guess in the odd instance they cant keep everyone happy and probably the odd person expects way to much .

Typical kiwis, car breaks down so you call the alcos.. mm