Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radar detector

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
Radar detectors are useful because they alert you to police radar.

Do you know what a paragraph is? If so please feel free to point out the errors of my ways. I guess now its my turn to ask the questions.
Have I struck a sore nerve with the whole rim thing?

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
this has got interesting

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
VY2ENJOY said:
Radar detectors are useful because they alert you to police radar.

Do you know what a paragraph is? If so please feel free to point out the errors of my ways. I guess now its my turn to ask the questions.
Have I struck a sore nerve with the whole rim thing?
why would you need to know where a police radar is setup? so you can stop speeding i guess..?

just proves that they encourage stupid behavior. if you know where cops are set up you wont speed or be stupid.

as for 19s on a ute your guess is as good as mine, so no... you havent struck a sore nerve. but if 19s are such a bad thing for a ute why does HSV insts on putting 19s on the maloo? dont you think that a car company would only fit equipment that is ADR compliant?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Troy711 said:
why would you need to know where a police radar is setup? so you can stop speeding i guess..?

just proves that they encourage stupid behavior. if you know where cops are set up you wont speed or be stupid.

as for 19s on a ute your guess is as good as mine, so no... you havent struck a sore nerve. but if 19s are such a bad thing for a ute why does HSV insts on putting 19s on the maloo? dont you think that a car company would only fit equipment that is ADR compliant?
you don't really beleive that radar encourages speeding.
it's not hard to speed limit cars with gps cutting engine power to slow the
car down to the given speed limit.
i wonder how many have been pinched for overspeed on a downhill?
how many rear ender have there been because to many people are looking at their
speedo instead of were their going?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VY2ENJOY said:
Last I knew 19" rims and tyres on a ute was illegal due to the insufficent load rating on the tyres, if I am wrong I stand corrected if they are illegal then either people in glass housed shouldnt throw stones, but prove me wrong and an appology is all yours.

WHEELS AND TYRES
All wheels and tyres fitted must comply with the Road Traffic (Miscellaneous) Regulations 1999.

The main points to note are:-

(a) The wheel track must not be increased by more than 26mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Maximum allowable tracks for individual vehicle models can be obtained from Transport SA. The wheel track is the distance measured across the vehicle from the centre-line of one tyre to the centre-line of the other tyre on the same axle.

(b) The wheels and tyres must not foul the body, suspension or any part of the vehicle under any operating conditions and must not project beyond the bodywork, when the wheels are on the straight ahead position and viewed from above.

(c) It is recommended that the tyres fitted to an axle of a vehicle must be of the same carcass construction. The tyre size designation of tyres fitted to an axle is required to be the same.

(d) The tyres fitted must be suitable for the rim. The tyre retailer should have information about matching tyres and rims.

(e) The load rating of the tyres must be adequate for the vehicle. ADR 24 vehicles (manufactured on or after 1/1/73) have this information listed on the tyre placard. The load rating of any tyre fitted must not be less than lowest load rating listed on the placard. For vehicles manufactured before 1/1/73 the tyres must have a load carrying capacity equal to or greater than those supplied as standard equipment by the vehicle manufacturer.

(f) Spacers are not permitted between the hub and wheel (unless originally fitted by the manufacturer)

(g) If the wheels of a vehicle are retained by multiple nuts or set screws, not by splines and a single nut, then the wheel nuts must match the tapered holes in the wheel and the nuts must be engaged for their full depth of thread.

(h) Wheels that have been widened by inserting a spacer band are not permitted.

(i) Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) are not permitted to increase or decrease the diameter of the wheel by more than 50 mm than the largest or smallest wheel listed on the tyre placard.

(j) The overall diameter of a wheel and tyre fitted to a vehicle manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) must not be more than 15 mm greater than the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard and not more than 15 mm less than the smallest tyre size listed on the placard. Specifications for overall tyre diameters are listed in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual, issued by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia.

(k) Vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1973 are not required to comply with (i) and (j) above however consideration must be given to clearance of the tyres and wheels on suspension and body components.

(l) Passenger cars manufactured on or after 1/7/88 must also comply with ADR 18/.. that stipulates that the speedometer must indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 kilometres per hour to an
accuracy of plus or minus 10 percent.

When selecting aftermarket wheel rims for a motor vehicle, ensure that the offset of the rim does not vary by more than 13mm from the original rim fitted by the vehicle manufacturer. This will ensure that the wheel
track is not increased by more than 26mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

Transport SA has a list of maximum allowable wheel tracks for a large variety of vehicles and can be consulted to confirm if a wheel track is within acceptable limits.

Wheel rims fitted to passenger cars manufactured after 1st July 1985, which are not original equipment or an original equipment replacement by the vehicle manufacturer must be indelibly marked with the wheels nominal
diameter, width and offset and with identification of the manufacturer of the wheel and the standard to which the wheel was manufactured. This should be checked before the wheels are purchased.

Tyres fitted to a vehicle must have a tread pattern at least 1.5 millimetres deep on all parts of the tyre that normally come into contact with the road surface. Tyres are manufactured with tread wear indicators that are
located in the tyre grooves in at least four points around the circumference of the tyre. If the tread wear indicators are at the same level as the overall tread, or there is less than 1.5 millimetres of tread depth on the
tyre, then the tyre is considered to be illegal.

Tyres fitted to passenger cars may not be treated by recutting or re-grooving of the tread unless the tyre is constructed to do so and marked as such.

so what that tells me is so long as the load rating is the same and that the wheels are not too big then 19s are fine on a ute.

time for an appology?

EDIT: cant find australian wide standards but i am assuming most states would have the same/similar laws

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
burnz said:
you don't really beleive that radar encourages speeding.
it's not hard to speed limit cars with gps cutting engine power to slow the
car down to the given speed limit.
i wonder how many have been pinched for overspeed on a downhill?
how many rear ender have there been because to many people are looking at their
speedo instead of were their going?

im sorry, i am missing the point you are trying to make

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
Troy711 said:

Mate have you just jumped sides?, "If you know where cops are set up you wont speed or be stupid" didnt I just say they alert you to police radar, so like you said when it peeps you wont speed or be stupid. Thanks for helping me out on this one and good to see you had had a rethink about it.

On the rim thing I stand corrected and I appologise. That was a well researched post, when you said "as for 19s on a ute your guess is as good as mine" I took that as you had no idea what the load rating limit was for your ute or tyres is but I stand corrected and again I appologise.

Great jousting though eh!

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
there is a difference between something that looks good, or has multiple purposes and is legal, than something with no other purpose than for something illegal. the original thread asked about something with a solely illegal purpose. Someone decided to pitch legallity against individuality.
The connection is about as close as lawn clippings is to computer fonts.
It seems the thread is going knowhere other than becoming another childish bitchfight.

this is my warning to you both, stop now.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Not relating to radar detectors, but to that above info about tyres...
Given that you can't increase the size by more than 50mm, and more importantly the load rating must be the same, myself and several friends here in Bundy have commented on the huge number of unroadworthy utes, vans, and small sports trucks with massive wheels and licorice strip rubber. One guy, and one guy only, that we know of for a fact has had his ute checked by an engineer and got a blue compliance plate for the modification, but he can never use his ute as a "ute" is supposed to be used again...if he happened to be pulled up while trying to carry a load of, say, furniture while moving, he'd be slapped with a big fine.

We often wonder whe the day will come of a crackdown and a lot of surprised motorists find out thier cars are unroadworthy...not to mention what would happen in a crash when the insurance company found out...:cry:

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
Wombat said:
Not relating to radar detectors, but to that above info about tyres...
Given that you can't increase the size by more than 50mm, and more importantly the load rating must be the same, myself and several friends here in Bundy have commented on the huge number of unroadworthy utes, vans, and small sports trucks with massive wheels and licorice strip rubber. One guy, and one guy only, that we know of for a fact has had his ute checked by an engineer and got a blue compliance plate for the modification, but he can never use his ute as a "ute" is supposed to be used again...if he happened to be pulled up while trying to carry a load of, say, furniture while moving, he'd be slapped with a big fine.

We often wonder whe the day will come of a crackdown and a lot of surprised motorists find out thier cars are unroadworthy...not to mention what would happen in a crash when the insurance company found out...:cry:

This is what I thought, but it must be different in each state, if not there are definately going to be some shocked people out there if there insurance company does find out!