Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator Cap liquid

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Dear Members,

I have an unusual issue with the Radiator in my VY, and welcoming other opinions,
I have done a bit of work on it early this year, as it was over due for a few things to be done.
Replaced the Supercharger Bearings and Front seal, and the Supercharger to LIM gasket,
being I did notice there was a heap of oil between the 2 surfaces [LIM and S/C gasket]
though I had rid this issue when I did a supercharger to LIM gasket, as the 2 rubber o rings were squashed down.
I also replaced the radiator as the side tank was leaking, about the time after I replaced all the hoses, as it was probably the next weakest point, keeping in mind it was the original Radiator.
I did a full radiator/engine flush that I purchased from Supercheap, and worked very well.
I then flushed it twice with clean water, filled it up, took it for a drive, dumped that water, and filled it again and dumped it the 2nd time, this was about March this year.
So it was almost crystal clear water.
I also replaced all the hoses, and the Heater tap, so everything is clean again.
So put coolant in it, and kept an eye on the water, and its is usually low at the end of each day, so I have just kept topping it up, thinking it was the readiator cap,
So I purchased a new Radiator cap, I know its NOT leaking, water, so the only other options, its consuming it, and so the gunk has re-appeared "as per photo below",
in saying that, I was going to do the LIM gaskets, but figured, it might be head gaskets, being if you pull a Super6 down that far, probably be best to the heads also,
Being its in immaculate condition, so its a keeper,
in saying all of that, your options are welcome to what may be causing it.
As this may also assist other members.
thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Radiator Cap 20190612.jpg
    Radiator Cap 20190612.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That would suggest the intake gaskets haven't sealed or worse the head gasket is toast. Might be time to do a coolant system pressure test. Did you use loctite or threadlocker on the LIM bolts and torque in the correct sequence? I do the LIM bolts in 3 stages just to be sure and use theadlocker (or sealant in a pinch) as the bolts are only torqued to 15Nm to not squish the original plastic type gaskets so there isn't enough tension on the bolts to stop em coming loose.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you for the reply,
I haven't done the LIM gaskets as yet, however I do have a LIM kit hanging up in the garage, where they are not much good hanging around :D, but I figure, if you pull it down that far, not much more to be remove the head gaskets,
my other concern was, what if the heads are cracked, as I have read, its not a common fault, but can be.

I only did the LIM to Supercharger gasket when I rebuild the Supercharger.
At 180,000 k's, I am guessing its time to investigate further, where I thought I had solved the issue when I found the Supercharger bolts lose when I removed it to service it, well that was my first thoughts, :eek:
But I was wrong, when the gunk slowly re-appeared, :mad:
Oh well, it back to the drawing board one would say. :confused:
I did think about a pressure tester, and purchase a pressure tester kit,
and its seems to hold at approx. 10lbs and then decreases, so the air or water, or both have to be going somewhere.
Its definitely not leaking it into the oil either [after new radiator, ALL hoses inc: heater hoses, and heater tap], otherwise the garage floor would of been stained by now, so I am guessing its consuming it.:mad:

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IF the LIM gaskets haven't been done then that will 99% likely be the issue.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride