Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator differences 2 transmission lines or 4 transmission lines...

Darkk_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged V6
i just bought a new radiator for my supercharged vt got all the way home and pulled almost the whole old radiator to find out i have 4 points where the transmission lines connect to the radiator instead of the 2 that are on the new one they sold me, does anyone know what the difference is and why mine has 4?
I think it has 4 because of the oil cooler but i would like to make sure... Or if anyone knows how to connect it up different so i just use to 2 points instead of the 4? Just saves me waiting till i get a chance 2moro to go all the way back to the shop to change it over :)

bhopper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac supercharged 6,vp bt1 5.0,vyss lshulk
hey dark the answer to your question is that some radiators run dual oil coolers and some run single oil coolers,i have a supercharged vt and myn has four dual oil coolers if you wana play around with it you can get it to work but if you dont and wana run a dual can you take it back and swap it as i would for a super charged vt to help keep the oil cooler ,the single come out on earlier vt's .

hope all goes well bhopper

FuzzY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5lt
on my radiator i have a pipe going from one side of the radiator to the other, i asume thats what your missing?

brokenz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Connectors

I have a WH Statesman V8 and just bought a Radiator off ebay for $190 delivered.
The original Radiator had 2 connectors and the new radiator had 4 connectors.
I just connected to the 2 connectors and its fine so the other side must be a separate cooler
Dont know if this assists at all

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
Connectors

I have a WH Statesman V8 and just bought a Radiator off ebay for $190 delivered.
The original Radiator had 2 connectors and the new radiator had 4 connectors.
I just connected to the 2 connectors and its fine so the other side must be a separate cooler
Dont know if this assists at all
Hi I just fitted a 14 inch by 10 inch transmission cooler with thermo fan. If I disconnect from radiator as I have 2 lines connected to the top and a crossover pipe on the bottom! To me it makes no sense as inlet into top on one side and outlet on top going back into transmission???? So technically when I'm in traffic and the temps get up to 104 degrees Celsius until fan kicks in as per specs! That means the 4L60E is literally cooking?? So I have spaced the transmission cooler about 40 mm on the bottom and about 60 on the top. Thermo fan is unobstructed as well! Now I have problem of connecting to the 2 lines from where it starts going into the radiator just in between twin factory thermo fans and engine! Easy to access but I don't what and where I can buy fittings to fit to factory lines? Where can you compression fittings? Any reply appreciated cheers !

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm fairly sure those are standard steel AN style fittings.

.... and yes, the factory 104°C thermofan setting is just ridiculous.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
I'm fairly sure those are standard steel AN style fittings.

.... and yes, the factory 104°C thermofan setting is just ridiculous.
Thanks for the reply! Is there a particular size? Or just standard AN Commodore fittings? I thought I saw somewhere AN 6 ! But not sure about that! All I keep seeing is AN 10 advertised! Thank you for the speedy reply! Cheers!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Pretty sure one is power steering cooler.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
AN sizes go from 4AN up to 24AN. It's definitely not 10AN, that is way to big. I'm not 100% sure what the exact size is sorry.