Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator flush now leaking,

Locko1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hey guys, I done a radiator flush on my vy commodore yesterday and when I ran the car up to operating temp I noticed coolant was leaking from around the drivers side of the radiator. I couldn’t find exactly where it was coming out as it had stoped leaking by the time I had noticed the stream of coolant on the concrete when I got out of the car.
I did notice this hose on the bottom of the radiator.
What is this hose for? And where should it be connected?
I let the motor cool-down and opened radiator coolant level is still at top of radiator.

IMG_3161.jpeg

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Those 2 pipes down the bottom to the right are for a power steering cooler core that is located in front of the Condensor,
have not been connected, or reconnected possibly by the PO.

As for the leak, I’m tipping it will be at the bottom of the radiator core, on the front of the radiator, between the radiator and condenser, hence why you are unable to locate it.
I had the very same issued with my VE and Adventra, I could smell the glycol, but could not see where it was leaking,
But found were it was leaking, after removing the radiator/s.

Simple fix, replace the radiator, because it will get worse and will leave you stranded BFN at the most inconvenient time and location.

Last edited:

Locko1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I put some more water in the rad and ran the car up to running temp this time standing outside the car. (I was inside the cab checking aircon first time)
ended up finding the leak, it’s trickling out the top hose running down the right side of the radiator.

Not too hard to fix might just try adjust the hose and hose clamp once it cools down.

And with a closer look at the power steering reservoir I can see that PO has bypassed the cooler. Not sure why.

Anyway thanks for the help, wasn’t sure what that power steering pipe was thought it had something to do with the leaking coolant as it had coolant on it and there was a coolant puddle underneath it.

IMG_3174.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might be worth throwing another top hose on. Should only be about $15-$16.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Good find, well done,

Might be worth removing the hose,
Clean the inside of any gunk, and the radiator fitting,
And before you re-fit it, run a thin film of gasket cement inside the hose( where it fits on the radiator) and then tighten the hose clap up,
You should not have that issue again.

Last edited: