Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator for 5 ltr engine

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
i just need to know from forum members what radiator is best for replacement , alloy or copper ? my vr 5 ltr has copper radiator , but is leaking . maybe some of you can advise which is the best against corrosion , and what lasts longer. hope you can help , thanks.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I had to replace my radiator a couple of years ago. From the research I did, it appeared that going with an alloy radiator with the cast iron block could cause corrosion problems with the alloy radiator in the short to medium term so i went with the standard spec as a replacement.

aussie7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
I got a replacement radiator awhile ago and my mechanic suggested and fitted a new original Holden one for my 5ltr

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
I had alloy in mine, it corroded, busted a pipe and caused then engine to overheat, replaced it with a HEAVY DUTY steel? one.

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
I got a original from Holden, didn't really pay attention to what its temps were before but hasn't over heated ever, even with sitting in 45mins of standstill traffic in 30 degree heat at the end of the coast trip didn't climb over were it was sitting.

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
thanks guys for your help and opinions . i am getting an all alloy radiator with alloy tanks , its got a 52 mm thick core for 249 dollars that includes courier from QLD hope i dont get one that eats it self up lol . any way i flush the cooling system and change the coolant every year so fingers crossed.