Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator Hose Issue

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
So tonight after picking my son up from uni drove into the driveway, nosed up to the garage to turn around reverse parked in the garage went to shut the roller door and spied a heap of water on the ground and hissing noises from under the bonnet.
Thought the worse that the radiator i had replaced a few years back had split again but no it turns out the bottom radiator hose had blown off, no damage at all to the hose or the radiator. Just dropped what i assume is water everywhere because there is no colour at all in the "coolant" refilled with coolant and water mix, everything seems fine now.
Anybody got any ideas on why it would just blow the hose off like that and what can i do to stop it happening again.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
So tonight after picking my son up from uni drove into the driveway, nosed up to the garage to turn around reverse parked in the garage went to shut the roller door and spied a heap of water on the ground and hissing noises from under the bonnet.
Thought the worse that the radiator i had replaced a few years back had split again but no it turns out the bottom radiator hose had blown off, no damage at all to the hose or the radiator. Just dropped what i assume is water everywhere because there is no colour at all in the "coolant" refilled with coolant and water mix, everything seems fine now.
Anybody got any ideas on why it would just blow the hose off like that and what can i do to stop it happening again.

Yes mine did that once the very same thing, got rid of the factory spring type clamp and replaced it with a normal clamp..

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
New hose was it? Was it those horrible spring hose clamp that has lost its mojo, or was the hose clamp done up on a angle and worked its way straight therefor loosing off.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Just a small update took the car for a drive today everything seems fine but i did go and buy a new bottom radiator hose and 4 new hose clamps and a bottle of coolant.
@Trevor loves holden. it was the original spring clamps never checked them after i had the radiator replaced and then flushed at 185k teach me to think the radiator place would use decent hose clamps.