Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator Issue.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Hi guys over the past few weeks i have been noticing coolant loss from my radiator thought it was the hose. that was replaced then i found a tiny crack in the tank so i plastic patched that and now its leaking from where the tank joins the alloy.... Any ideas on what to do maybe replace the tank or is there a way to replace just the seals in it?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
radiators are cheap ,better of replacing it rather than patching it, patches wont hold the pressure anyway.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
radiators are cheap ,better of replacing it rather than patching it, patches wont hold the pressure anyway.

yeah thats what i thought i did plastic weld it so the tank should hold fairly well was only a very very small crack that would most probably dissappear when it heated anyway i more talking about the seals but like you said its better replacing it then repairing it.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
depends where you buy one, but some are only $80 or so

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
brand new auto barn 86.25 put it on order as holden wanted 400 repco wanted 330 and upull it wanted 90

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
do an exchange with a radiator shop new for old and put a new one in
the cap generally lasts half the life of a radiator too soo get a new cap while at it
and the coolant replaced and flush engine with hose when hoses off too!~

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah following the gregories manual ive got the all of the stuff i need bar the cooling system pellets do i really need to add them?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
If you are using quality long life coolant, (Nulon etc) you do not need the pellets. Nulon gives an extensive warranty provided it is used correctly. 50/50 mix with distilled or demineralised water after the cooling system is flushed and drained. Knock sensors out for complete drain. By the way, it is a fairly unsuccessful operation to try to fix the end seals on a plastic tank radiator. They fail most times. Cheaper to replace radiator.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i looked at a seal kit and then a new radiator and with time factored in and the guy teling me that the sucess rate hes seen was 99% fail.... i decided it would be best to get a new radiator which should come in today and im using Tectaloy Xtra Cool Gold which is supposed to treat 15 litres . phew demineralised water tectaloy coolant says to use regular tap water ......

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I am a bit old school, even Holden says to use "clean, clear water" I have been told in the past that you cannot trust the water in most state capitals, esp Qld, SA and Perth as their water is somewhat hard. Using demineralised or distilled water helps the anti-corrosion agents in your coolant to do their job wherever you are and it's cheap as chips so I use it anyway.