Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator issue?

PremiumVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Ok guys

I had a look over the engine today (it hasn't been started for 13 years) and there is no water in the radiator when you take off the cap, not sure how empty it is.

When you squeeze the radiator hoses you can hear a crunching sound like something dried up in there.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I can’t remember but I think VL had a spring inside the lower radiator suction hose to stop it collapsing.

And if the coolant hasn’t been changed for years and years and indeed has leaked out, the spring could be very rusted and as such breaks when the lower rad hose is squeezed. Otherwise the coolant could have deposited sediment inside the hose walls as it dribbled and dried out, which will make similar cracking noises.

What to do is a difficult call but I’d fill up the system and let it sit for a day or two. That would soften the crud then I’d flush clean using water pressure and compressed air. I may even add some mild acid (coke?) to help the process. The downside is that it may chew through any rust and you end up with holes in the radiator, the heater core and welsh plugs… That’s the price of neglect :p

In any case, you should install all new hoses and clamps after the flush, then maybe new radiator, heater core or welsh plugs depending on how rusted the internals are and whether you have holes within… Only after starting the engine (with new hoses) and getting things hot and to max pressure will you know the state of the cooling system :rolleyes:

PremiumVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
No worries thanks mate.

Will see how I go.

PremiumVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Hey all

I am at the stage where i am about to start the engine for the first time should i flush first like mentioned above or fill up and kick her over and see what happens?

Cheers

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
(it hasn't been started for 13 years) and there is no water in the radiator
fill it up first with water, not coolant,
Do as Skylarking suggest above = good advice
After 13 years basically everything would be cactus, especially thermostat/water pump.
Kick it in the guts let it idle up to full temp and see what happens. Expect the worst.

PremiumVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Thanks for the info Hole Denn. Will see how I go.