Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator replacement gone wrong, trans lines threaded.........HELP!

causisayso

Reaction score
Members Ride
50th anniversary 2004 vy commodore
first post so dont be too hard on me hahaha

ive just replaced the radiator in my 2004 vy commodore no issues installing the actual radiator but when i did the initial startup i noticed a transmission fluid leak so decided to undo and try to refit it and i think ive threaded the bottom trans cooler line fitting when reinstalling it and now the thread will not take at all past a couple of turns. thread gives as soon as i put a spanner on it........i need the car for work on monday and need some ideas on how to get this peice of s@$% drivable for work, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Loctite do a thread lock for hydraulics.

Dunno what Loctite would do in this situation, not for sealing things either.

Is it the type of radiator that has the removable JIC fittings? If so get them out and see if it's just the removable fitting with damaged threads or if it's the fitting on the line.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Love when somene has a dig and turns out wrong.

Well, it still ain't gonna miraculously fix threaded fittings now, is it. Look, I just read thread locker (wrongly in this case) when I see Loctite.

If he manages to screw it in properly with 542 it will be fixed.

Any sealant wouldn't make a difference anyway if it's either of the flared fittings (which are the most likely ones) that are threaded because they use the tapered faces to seal, not the threads. It's basically an AN fitting, so if this is the case then no, it won't be fixed with 542 .

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You don't need any sealant, as the pipes are like compression fittings.
Did you make sure the o-rings/seals were on the end of the pipes before you re-fitted them to the radiator tank, they are made of gasket material, or similar, if I remember correctly, mine were green in colour.
There are 2 small seals the slip over the end of the pipes, they could be stuck in the fitting of the old radiator tank fittings,
I had a similar thing happen when I replaced the radiator, then I found one of the small seals laying on the ground,
Removed the fitting, cleaned up the oil mess, re-fitted the seal, and that fixed the oil leak.

Last edited: