Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator replacement (single vs dual cooler)

Franky_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Hey mates and good evening,
I will have to replace the radiator on my Holden Commodore VX Calais 2001, V6 (automatic).
The former radiator has as dual transmission Oil cooler, meaning the transmission Oil will run through the radiator twice.
I do have a same size VT - radiator on hand that I would like to use. Than one just comes with a single oil cooler. My dealer told me that should run just fine but I'm not sure about that.
Can anybody give me some advice, much appreciated!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
All my experiences with Commodores is that they all just use one side of the radiator, never seen a dual. In other word, it will be fine.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Much of a muchness.

You'd be better off running a fully external cooler if you really wanted to see a difference. This would also stop coolant and trans fluid mixing if the internal cooler sprung a leak at some stage.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
As RJK said above, you don't want to risk coolant & transmission fluid mixing together if the cooler pipe in the radiator ever springs a leak.
Seeing that you are considering using a second hand radiator it's definitely something to keep in mind.

I have replaced auto radiators with manual radiators (no oil cooler in tank) and then fitted external transmission oil coolers to a couple of commodores in the past. The obvious benefit of this is the transmission oil is being cooled by air flowing through the cooler and the transmission will also be running cooler.
PWR make complete transmission oil cooler kits to suit commodores.