Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator thermo cooling fan not working

andrews

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II V6
After doing a great deal of research i have managed to get most of the information i need to troubleshoot my radiator thermo fans not working. I can't find the last bit of info i need to finish off the job.

Background info:

Radiator thermo fans not coming on at all when car is running. Turning the A/C on and off has no effect. Swapping the fan relays with other working relays has no effect either. I have run a cable directly from battery to fan cabling and both fans started running.

What remains as the possible culprit:

Temp sensor: i couldn't find a post on how to check the sensor is working properly, i will get it changed today but i have a feeling it might not fix the problem as the temp gauge on the dash shows the temp rise and looks healthy. (PS temperature never goes over half way mark).
I have seen posts which talk about fans needing to kick in at a certain temp but i am unaware of how to corelate the temp gauge in the dash to actual temp in degC

Other fuses/relays in the car, can anyone please let me know how to go about checking the rest of the fuses/relays in the electric system to which the fans are connected.

Cheers,
Mat

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
I have similar issues - any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Check the fusible links (not the actual fuses but the coloured square things) in the fuse box under the bonnet. The workshop manual says the cooling fans use a 30 amp fusible link.