Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio Removal

O

ozjock41

Hi

We have just bought a VZ second hand. It appears that the clips securing the radio in have been damaged at some stage and will not release with the tool.

Can I release the head unit from the rear?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Ozjock.

Hmmmm, it's not easy - from the left side (after you remove the glovebox and pull a couple of screws) you can get some limited access to the back of the thing. It's not easy though!

A suggestion - use some coat hanger wire bent in a wide "U" shape (86mm across) and on the very tips of the prongs make a nice sharp little bend. Trim that off with a hacksaw/file (or a Dremel) to leave only 1 or 2 mm of "bent bit" and try those in the extraction holes. With the bent ends, you may get enough purchase to pull the unit out.

(Hmmm - these bodgey blokes who bend these clips.... I've come across numerous of these - with the proper tool you can get the unit out in a few seconds - UNLESS some nob-head nas screwed up the lock clips, that is....)

Cheerz, all the best.

stevenwilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sPac UTE
Hi

We have just bought a VZ second hand. It appears that the clips securing the radio in have been damaged at some stage and will not release with the tool.

Can I release the head unit from the rear?

the tools from holden broke two of my clips when i took my ute in because the factory head unit was cutting out all the time.
when i put an aftamarket head unit in it took four 3inch nails too get it out it took all of 5 seconds
just a suggestion.