Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rage!!

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Hi guys.

Back again with an annoying off idle stumble. Car wants to stall, has no power then like a switch is thrown It up and goes like a cut snake.

Here's what I've done.

New o2 sensors.
New coils.
New fuel filter.
New leads.
New spark plugs.
Cleaned the throttle body
cleaned the fuel tank and fuel pump sock. (wasn't that grotty at all).

When it plays up it spits and farts and feels like it wants to die in the arse, then I'll get a back fire off one bank (has happend on both banks) and off it goes like there's nothing wrong.

All thats been done recently is I fit up a whole new exhaust system. New cats, new Extractors and 2.5" twin system.
There are no codes showing on the scan tool. The fuel trims seem fine. The ignition advance is fine. The TPS and IAT is fine.

It almost feels like a car with a carby that's too big. Anyone that's been there knows what I mean.
The old boy took it for a run and said it feels like the idle is too low. Which makes no sense obviously.
But could the TPS or idle control be up the ****?

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
But could the TPS or idle control be up the ****?

only one way to find out. i changed my TPS not long ago and it made it run alot better. also have you had yours tuned? maybe its time for a maffless tune!!

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, going fuggin maffless. Had enough of this prick of a thing.
Will change the TPS too. Can't hurt at this point hey?

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
Yeah, going fuggin maffless. Had enough of this prick of a thing.
Will change the TPS too. Can't hurt at this point hey?

yeah i got mine fron Holden $280 just for the TPS. when i pulled my old one off, it had all this white stuff around it?? must of been a bit dirty, but doesnt hurt to slap a new one in.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Just tune the sucker mate, won't know yourself. :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I am going to. Could even be the MAF giving up. I did run the same filter for like 12months!

I can get a TPS off ebay brand new for about $40....

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
Getting a car tuned that has a pre-existing issue will lead to disappointment. Find the problem first. I know you feel like you've tried everything, but theres still at least one more sensor that could cause what you are experiencing and that would be the MAF. Clean it (properly, and gently) and give it another go. Failing that, try a friends. There are so many around from people getting MAFless tunes that you won't have any problems trying to source one.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I've cleaned the MAF.
Might pinch dads. His car has no fuel now anyway LOL.

Now that I think about it, it kinda makes sense.

Car drives like a dog whilst moving slowly, but like I say once you boot it int the guts and you get some RPM up it goes grea,. and no issue cruising at 100km/h. Possibly an issue with low airspeed over the MAF?

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
its the air intake temp sensor getting heat soak from the extracters. happened to my ss, ran for months and once the weather warmed up the same prob happened. my car was also tuned which exageratted the prob as it was running 22* advance. fitted up an otr and relocated the iat sensor and the prob never appeared again.

took a fair while loggin it on vcm suite to get it to show up as the day i took it to my tuner was cold n overcast. it was pulling all the timing in one hit. would only happen if the car was sitting in the hot sun for a while or the car was idleing for over 30 seconds. once up to speed the natural airflow cools the sensor and all is good in the world. so id say get an otr and tune and relocate the sensor.

if you want to test my theory pull the sensor housing out of the intake duct and run it ove the radiator cover to the hole in the corner behind the left headlight and pop it into one foe the slots and run around for a few days. just make sure you block off the hole in the intake. when i did this it still had the problem but very rearly which to me indicated that heatsoak was the prob.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Interesting.
The issue only arose once fitted the extractors.I'll give it a crack I guess. I did not that sitting in the car port on a warm day the IAT sensor read 54c after a drive.
Ambient would have only been 30 at max.

Thanks for the input.