Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ram pod vs cai

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
I have just come back from a mates ls1 workshop where a customer wanted a pod set up for his stock vuss ute jason decided on a new k&n set up which comes with maf pipe filter and heat sheild .After doing a dyno run with standard air box then bolting on new k&n set up and re dynoing the car made an extra 20 rwhp Jason was pretty amazed as K&N had claimed a 20hp difference I have now found and orderd my set up :)

B

BLACK346

Sounds good. Always good to see the results first
hand. I have just ordered a Uniflow sealed pod
for mine, I looked at the K&N as well, but it
didn't appear to be as well sealed. Let us know
how it goes when installed :)

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
I will do, its just good to get some real dyno figures as everybody has opinions but the old dyno(lie detector )is not biased and 20 hp is 20hp i cant wait to get mine .

B

BLACK346

DazVYSS said:
I will do, its just good to get some real dyno figures as everybody has opinions but the old dyno(lie detector )is not biased and 20 hp is 20hp i cant wait to get mine .

Just out of interest, was that 20rwhp on a stock motor?
Did it include a tune? And more importantly what were
the torque gains?

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
jason decided on a new k&n set up which comes with maf pipe filter and heat sheild

So what parts are included ? Just the k&n filter, maf pipe and heat sheild ?

Would i get extra hp if i do this to my V6 VN ?

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
Kit consists of 4" maf pipe plastic heat shield pod filter all clamps everything needed to fit takes 10 mins not sure on torque gains but i will find out . On a v6 you will probably get about 10hp which still aint bad.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Any gains would have been from the bigger MAF pipe. The filter/pod would have made little to no difference.

B

BLACK346

clixanup said:
Any gains would have been from the bigger MAF pipe. The filter/pod would have made little to no difference.

Where did you find this out? The 4 inch maf pipe
has been proven over and over to give **** all gain,
maybe 1kw at best. Sharper throttle response maybe,
but no big power gains. The pod is supposed to give
a much larger intake area than even the 2 hole mod
on the mcai, so maybe thats were the gains in torque
and power are from. The uniflow one that I have
purchased also has a lid on it so should keep a lot
more hot air out hopefully.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
BLACK346 said:
Where did you find this out?

Personally, I think his claim of 20 more rwhp with only a MAF pipe and pod are total BS. In fact, I fail to see how any intake mods could have such a dramatic effect on a completely stock and unopened engine without any form of tune.

Anyhow, this stuff is basic mathematics: two 90mm holes in your airbox can provide an area of half a litre. That is more air than is able to go through a 100mm MAF pipe, which only really requires an opening capable of supplying 300-odd ml. (Or - as you may have guessed - 100mm!!). If you're keeping the MAF in there, a single 90mm hole can supply more than enough air.

Back to back dyno runs can vary by as much as 5%, dependant upon the conditions, so I wouldn't put too much faith in those either.

Last edited:
R

rattattack1313

Hhhmmmm...I might have to go and cut a hole in my airfilter box....I have the stock cold air intake bizzzo, that pokes it's snout from the air filter box into the gap in the front chassis, behind the nosecone/front left headlight.....and just get another stock c.a.i. and fit it so it's snout pokes to the other side, nearer the guard/indicator.......it has gottta make a difference.....when I drive,with the window down, I can hear it sucking the air in.....lol...