Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ram pod vs cai

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
When a stock car is put on a dyno and 2 to 3 power runs are recorded then an average is worked out for peak power and then new air filter setup fitted and 3 new power runs done and a new average worked out 20 hp higher reading within 20 mins between first and last dyno run i find this a **** load more accurate than someones personal opinion who obviously cant handle the fact that his two hole mod aint worth two bob .Ask yourself why every high horsepower jap car running big turbos etc somewere in the engine bay you will find a pod filter .

R

rattattack1313

got bored just now...so I ripped my airfilter box out, and cleaned all under it...a lot of gunge builds up in little corners!!!! anyway...I spied me sons cold air intake sitting there..... so I cut a hole in my air box...next to the original.....trimmed the tube bizzo back a few inches..( see pic.... the offcut is sitting there...). then a little silastic to bung up the odd gaps....(LOL..)......wipe around with damp finger and cloth...... wait and wait fer it to go off....that will not make it a top performance car, I realise, but for a poor-mans air intake...looks fine to me.....and willl let in a heap more air!!!!! ;)
just tested it....sounds loooooots quieter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Attachments

• air box.jpg
    air box.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 428
Last edited by a moderator:

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
DazVYSS said:
i find this a **** load more accurate than someones personal opinion

In actual fact, it is logic. How much can your intake benefit from an opening bigger than 70mm if that is the internal diameter of the MAF?? While the MAF is there, it is going to be a bottleneck regardless of whether you have a pod or flat panel filter.

In any case, post your before & after dyno sheets and I'll STFU.

DazVYSS said:
Ask yourself why every high horsepower jap car running big turbos etc somewere in the engine bay you will find a pod filter.

The exact same reason these people get stainless steel exhausts, spoilers, neons, altezza taillights and "sponsor" stickers on their front quarter panels... :rice: :rofl:

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
When my kit arrives and gets fitted I will post dyno figures as my car is a stock 5.7 apart from cat back zorst I also have done 2 hole mod with 2x 90 mm pipe so I can give kw before(2 hole) and after (K&N) set up and also an honest opinion of how the car drives I will then give new figures once edit is done.

B

BLACK346

DazVYSS said:
When my kit arrives and gets fitted I will post dyno figures as my car is a stock 5.7 apart from cat back zorst I also have done 2 hole mod with 2x 90 mm pipe so I can give kw before(2 hole) and after (K&N) set up and also an honest opinion of how the car drives I will then give new figures once edit is done.

Good stuff, can't wait to see the result. Mine is already
editted, but I am in Darwin now and won't be able to
get a touch up tune for a while unfortunately.

Inch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx hsv
maf pipe

If you remove the stock maf pipe and look inside you will see the bend is moulded to the stright part ,You will see a big lip and the opening is very small at this point

B

BLACK346

Inch said:
If you remove the stock maf pipe and look inside you will see the bend is moulded to the stright part ,You will see a big lip and the opening is very small at this point

If you get a sharp stanley blade you can cut a lot
of that away. I did that a few years back before
I got my 4 inch pipe.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
Hi black 346 did you go maf or maffless edit and how did you find the power gains.

B

BLACK346

DazVYSS said:
Hi black 346 did you go maf or maffless edit and how did you find the power gains.

Maf Edit at the moment mate, absolutely transformed
the car. Have you had a look here yet, enough info
on LS1's too keep you reading for a year (oh and it will
make you poor) www.ls1.com.au

A good edit will increase Power and Torque right across
the rev range, too many people get hooked up on peak
power figures.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
I have had a look at ls1 forums and will be broke for the next year I will be going maffless edit as I can get it done for $450 but I just need the $$$$$ I will keep you posted.