Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ran out of fuel !

marceljonas78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim II
Hi,
I ran out of fuel and fuelled it up with my 10 liter fuel jerry can, and its not starting anymore. Is there air in my fuel line? How can I get the air out?
Thanks for any help!

mwemy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
what car or motor?
most of them are self bleeding....

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If you ran out of fuel and your car is facing up a hill and/or leaning to the left, 10 litres might not be enough. Try adding just a bit more fuel. Happened to me once.

marceljonas78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim II
Its a VX acclaim II and its standing on a straight road.
I might have to mention that the fuel gauge doesn't work. I was trying to get it fairly empty to change the floater/pump in the tank or whatever needs to be changed. I guess I got it right empty:).
Wouldn't have to do something with that pump inside the tank, right?

marceljonas78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim II
good point with that blockage. Is there any way to pump out the air if there is some in the line?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
When you turn the ignition you should hear the pump priming for a few seconds, if you can't hear it then it is probably faulty but check fuse and relay. You might need to get someone to turn the ignition while you listen at the tank, it can be a bit hard to hear the fuel pump with noisy surroundings. Sometimes a good thumping at the bottom of the tank can get them going again.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe it didnt run out of fuel at all,maybe the fuel pump has s##t itself instead.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
I had to do the same thing mate, my fuel guage didnt work so i thought hey ill change the float. Anyways got it near empty, took the tank out changed the float no dramas, in vl's the float is part of the intake pump, cause the vl has 2 fuel pumps, anyway. Put the tank back in hooked it all up, put a 20l jerry can of fuel in and no start, i started to get worried cause it was a prick of a job to take in and out. Filled up in total of about 45 litres and then it started, turns out the "Working" fuel pump/float would only work when it was half full or over. So like others said you may need more fuel. I know it sucks but typical commodore :p