Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Random Groan from Calais

Tristan Cupit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 2005
I've got a 2014 Calais (not the V) and every now and then there is a strange noise that seems to come from what sounds like behind the center screen or center speaker on the dash. It is just a little low pitched groan like rubbing on leather but it happens when no one is moving or steering or doing anything. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If it happens with a passenger in the car, throw then out :p

Tristan Cupit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 2005
Have a read of this thread:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-ssvr-windscreen-rattle-squeaks.266199/

Seems people with similar noises have had some success with silicon spray behind the windscreen seal.

You may (or may not) be experiencing the same thing.
Okay so I'm still not sure whether it is my windshield, but I gave my windshield a little push around anyway from every corner and side and in the middle both inside and out and I heard none of the groaning sound. Could it be under the dash maybe some sensor playing up?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It’s an easy enough thing to spray some lubricant under the outside windscreen seal and see if that helps. The other thread has all the details you need ;)

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I reckon it might be your air con causing those sounds maybe?
Every commodore I've owned has made the occasional groaning type noises in behind the dash while the AC is making adjustments etc

Tristan Cupit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 2005
I reckon it might be your air con causing those sounds maybe?
Every commodore I've owned has made the occasional groaning type noises in behind the dash while the AC is making adjustments etc
It does seem to be coming from the aircon system. Whenever I turn the car off from a decently long drive (e.g. more than 5 minutes) it makes the noise. It also makes a similar noise when pressing the aircon button on and off. Still exploring options though.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It does seem to be coming from the aircon system. Whenever I turn the car off from a decently long drive (e.g. more than 5 minutes) it makes the noise. It also makes a similar noise when pressing the aircon button on and off. Still exploring options though.

It must be the actuators making the noise. You can here them once you turn the car off after about 5-10 minutes when they seem to go to sleep. Maybe you have one very noisy one. Cycle the different modes on the HVAC unit to see which one makes the most noise.