Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Random stopped, now only will start every few days?

AussieSausage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore, VF SS.
Hey guys, after a bit of help on a mind boggling issue.

Have a 03 VY, it's my daily. It was driving fine, then randomly stopped and wouldn't start. I have replaced a number of parts. Injectors, fuel pump, TPS, fuel filter, new fuel, fuel hose, spark plugs, coil packs, leads, air filter. And it still refused to run.

Although, every few days I will try start it, and it will start and miss like a demon, although is somewhat drivable, but then it stalls and does the exact the same thing.

Any body have any clues as to what it could be?

Polaris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY UTE 3.5L
We could be chasing similar problems.
Things to check i have tried, but maybe successful for you.

Missing usually indcates spark problem. However you can test this most safely by disconnectiong each injector one at time... no difference = culprit.
On any that are found (not being fired) put screw driver or stethoscope on the injector and listen for pattern. Should be a consistient ticking. If ticking along nicely then its spark to that cylinders plug.

Vacuum. Make sure plenum chamber hoses are good. Even EGR.
Did you reuse paper gasket for plenum intake or still have steel one? The powder coated steel can flake and give you an uneven surface.

Try putting a short hose in place of the brake booster hose. Using a spray bottle sealed into that hose mist in some petrol. An imediate smoothing out might indicate a lack of fuel = partial blockage. Test further by disconnecting rail delivery (pump side) on prime ( turn key to ON ) into a bottle.
Like wise test fuel return line while running.

MAF Sensor. If you can get it to run , probe the back of sensor connector and measure the voltage across the 3 pins ( 2 at a time ).
Or measure the resistors are about 10, 10 and 160 ohms inside the unit.

Hope you have some luck with one of those.

Matt

AussieSausage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore, VF SS.
Okay brilliant, I will give them all ago and see how I go. Thanks for the reply. Maf sensor is one thing I haven't tried.

AussieSausage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore, VF SS.
Sprayed fuel down the hose as you suggested, it starts and runs until I stop spraying, checked injector pulse with a noid light, there pulsing. Looking like the injectors are stuck or clogged?

Polaris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY UTE 3.5L
you can test spark (for suspect plugs ground the nut and hold in an insulator - glove , plastic clamp)
... but if the misting fuel trick is working it is likely fuel not getting in to cylinder.

Theres a guy on youtube that shows how to diagnose/clean an injector ...worth a look
or

Yeah so if needed, pull injectors out and inspect top of injectors with a magnifying glass or your phone with flash on.
Should be a clean conical filter - maybe grey with use, thats normal.
Note : use grease to lubricate o-ring when putting them back in (or soak in petrol if you don't have)
Also twist back and forth to pull each injector out, pulling them straight out you might lose an o-ring or two (spray some lubricant at base of injectors can help).

Also if you replaced coil packs - just check you didn't tighten them down too much and crack the casing.
DFI module usually doesn't go before coils do (in my limited experience).

Last edited: