Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rapid Exhaust "Marriage Savers" rear mufflers - Unbiased review

F88

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS
Recently I decided to change my exhaust on my stock 2009 VE SS Commodore (auto). The only thing I'd done to it prior was to add some pretty average rear mufflers that droned.

I found Rapid Exhaust's "Marriage Savers" through their website which are marketed as direct fit rear mufflers that DON'T DRONE. Of course I was skeptical. They're basically a straight pipe, with another pipe diverting to 2 hot dog resonators either side of the straight pipe (if that makes sense). I guess it's a similar principal to a Helmholtz chamber.

Because I was skeptical I called Darren from Rapid Exhaust and he spent a good 20 mins explaining the design and that he fully backs his claim of no drone, and that if I wasn't happy with them I could return them for a refund. So based on this I took a risk (considering they're $520 from their ebay store) and ordered a set.

When they arrived I fitted them in about 10 mins flat and took her for a spin. I was quite surprised, there was almost no drone at all. If I was to put a number on it I'd say they're 95% drone free (keep in mind my car is stock). The only slight drone I noticed was when my AFM kicked in, but it was barely noticeable. Driving around town you hear a good note from the exhaust with a bit of a burble to it. On the highway you barely hear the exhaust at all until you put your foot down.

I then added a set of VF HSV R8 Clubsport headers and cats which are a direct fit, and this made the system a bit louder and more crackly, giving it a bit more of a roar, but slightly increased the drone. With these headers I'd say it's about 85% - 90% drone free.

All in all I'm quite impressed with the results. They're not cheap, considering you can get a full cat-back for a bit more cash, but if you're not wanting to go to much trouble to get a good exhaust note then they're a good option.

Here's a quick video of the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJeSWDL-VQ

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Interesting comments on the drone. People I know with VE's and marriage savers seem happy with the drone (or lack of) when AFM kicks in, whilst VF owners including myself find the drone very annoying. I've had AFM disabled so it's not a problem anymore. I must say the note the marriage savers give is quite good.

Did you notice any power gains with the HSV headers ?

F88

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS
I agree they definitely give a good note.

As for power gains with the HSV headers, I've never had my car on the dyno so I really can't tell whether she's gained any power. Based on driving it every day, there isn't much that I've noticed in terms of power, but it definitely sounds tougher.

What I have noticed with the HSV headers is a significant improvement in fuel economy (which is something I never thought about before fitting them). I make the same 100km trip (each way) back and forth several times a week, which is mainly country highway. The best figures I got with stock headers was 9L/100km there, and 10.6L/100km back. This was with average traffic and cruise control set on 103kph most of the time.

With the HSV Headers the best I've got are 7.9L/100km there, and 8.8L/100km back under similar traffic levels and with the cruise control set the same.

I'd say the main positives of the HSV headers are a better exhaust note, better fuel economy and the fact that they're a direct fit to the stock system.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I opted for the Rapid Exhaust DG pipes instead the marriage savers. They're louder and offer a lot of crack and bang for $350 delivered. Rest of my system is stock... I can't imagine adding more noise as they're perfect at the moment (I drive through an RBT about twice a month on my way to work and never get hassled by the cops for the car).