Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rasping/Grinding noise - 6 speed auto

Peter Grant

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Z Series sedan
HI there, my VE 6 speed auto has 145k on it. Recently i've noticed when I accelarate from a standstill there is a rasping/grinding noise. Could be transmission as it doesn't make the noise in neutral when i rev it. It only does it when car is cold, only on take off. Seems to go away as I get through the gears. All gears shift great, no clunking etc. Could it need a service?

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
If the fluid hasn't been done in the last 60,000km - I'd recommend getting a fluid and filter change done. It might fix the grinding, but abnormal noises are an indication that damage may already be done to some component in the transmission. At the very least it might prevent it from worsening but will certainly provide fresh lubrication and detergent to the other vital parts of the system.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I've been getting a grinding noise from 2500-3000rpm for a few years now. Goes away after engine is thorougly warm. I keep it out of that range until warm anyway. I've put it down to piston slap. Two mechs have only given theorys, nothing solid.

Peter Grant

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Z Series sedan
If the fluid hasn't been done in the last 60,000km - I'd recommend getting a fluid and filter change done. It might fix the grinding, but abnormal noises are an indication that damage may already be done to some component in the transmission. At the very least it might prevent it from worsening but will certainly provide fresh lubrication and detergent to the other vital parts of the system.

I just had the transmission flushed fully yesterday. Embarrassed to say the old stuff was filthy. Anyway, seems to have done the trick.
Thanks for the confirmation. BTW had it done at a local Transmission place in Ipswich for $330. Considering other prices were $480 and $380 (Lubemobile with no full flush) i was happy with the price.

Peter Grant

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Z Series sedan
I've been getting a grinding noise from 2500-3000rpm for a few years now. Goes away after engine is thorougly warm. I keep it out of that range until warm anyway. I've put it down to piston slap. Two mechs have only given theorys, nothing solid.

I had the fluid fully flushed out & replaced yesterday and no noise. Mind you I have 145k on the clock and haven't had the transmission serviced for over 100k of that. If you have a few k's on yours, might pay to get it done.