Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle canning this VT Calais

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
After owning a VB v8 i bought a VN V6 than a VR had those for 14 years than went to japanese cars than for the last 3 years i owned a Ford LTD V8 but just sold that and now im back in to Commodores i have a VT Calais i just got her on the road

Now its time to paint her dark blue not original paint but im going to use rustoleum rattle cans going with dark blue gloss

Depending how it comes out i may do some wet sanding but not looking for a showroom car just something better than it looks now

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
After owning a VB v8 i bought a VN V6 than a VR had those for 14 years than went to japanese cars than for the last 3 years i owned a Ford LTD V8 but just sold that and now im back in to Commodores i have a VT Calais i just got her on the road

Now its time to paint her dark blue not original paint but im going to use rustoleum rattle cans going with dark blue gloss

Depending how it comes out i may do some wet sanding but not looking for a showroom car just something better than it looks now
How many cans do you think you will need & how many coats do plan on doing? Any clear?

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
The plan is to paint the car with doors closed so im going with a similar dark blue hopping it helps with blotchyness if theres any

Im going to order 20 cans of blue/gloss just to ease a bit of the sanding and speed up the process over going matt with clear and having to sand in between

I will be hitting the peeling clear with some light sanding pads on the orbital sander to knock back the cold clear coat i hope it pans out

Reactions: Lex

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
This took about 16-18 cans of supercheap 4.99 rattles ... lol (did this about 6 years ago)...enamel white ...(didnt have to clearcoat and didnt even bother with primer...lol)... the tricky part was bogging up the dent in 1 door and rear quarter and getting it all nice and smooth for the paint...... Car was a real eyesore beforehand bad paint peel everywhere...also had to replace majorly cracked front windscreen ...lived in a small town at the time ..... ended up looking nice and tidy ...;)

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 113
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 107

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
That looks nice is that with a polish or just straight off the can?

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Straight off the can...I just kept spraying over it, held cardboard to stop over spraying glass windows etc, as was too lazy to tape it all off, greased over all chrome and door handles,rubbers, lights etc...wipe off the grease and presto ...lol
I had a Vk ages ago, I did similar to, painted it light green ...it took about 10 cans.... it stops the car drawing unwanted attention.... just keep on spraying it...lol ,The downside to rattle cans is they run out of pressure and you get splutters,they dont like being held sideways or pointed down...about 1/2 way done here id say by looking at it...PS make sure they have plenty of the color you choose in stock...in case you need to get more...;)

Attachments

• feather.JPG
    feather.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 99
  • binned.jpg
    binned.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
My Calais was just left to rot away out of rego for 4 years, i just fixed everything to pass a blue slip rego inspection and put 12 months rego on the old girl

I just need to tidy up the paint and she will be a nice car again

Interior is still very clean and tidy, the engine and gearbox are nice and clean an run good

Just that paint job is shameful to be seen in lol