Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle from Ls1 rear/underneath

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
Chirping from Ls1 rear/underneath - Issue located

Update: Found what the problem was, seems that one of the struts holding the exhaust in place between the headers and Cats had snapped in half, and is causing a resonance.

Hey all, just seeing if anyone has had a similar episode with their LS1. I noticed what could best be described as a metallic chirping sound coming from the car the other day driving home from work, and it only seemed to occur whenever I took off from a standing start, usually at the slip point between the clutch and accelerator. Got the car home, and sat it with the engine going with someone revving the engine with the clutch out and car in neutral, and the noise reoccured with revs. I sprayed a bit of WD 40 on some of the belts cos I thought it might be a noise coming from something squeaking/loose, but I'm still getting the sound, which with the bonnet open sounds as though it is coming from the rear of the engine.

Last edited:

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
my best surgestion would be that it may be either the spigot bush/bearing and or thrust/release bearing. that said it's hard to diagnose a fault over th internet based on a description. get a mechanic to quote you on the fault. so at least you know what the problem is.

the last thing you want to do is to remove the gearbox to find its something totally different. so just get a mechanic to take a quick look at it would be the best bet.

if i've helped click the scales

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
yeh, ta. I am taking it in for a minor service soon, will get them to check it out. Starting to sound like a flock of tweeting birds has taken up residence under my bonnet..