Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rattle in engine area...getting worried

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Exec. Wagon
hi guys. Excuse my typos and grammer as I'm typing on my iPod.

So recently when I start my car there's a rattle coming from undr it. I had put it down to my exhaust having lost a mount as it has been a bit bashed.

Anyway, now when I'm driving and put it under any relatively hard acceleration I often get a loud rattling noise coming from want sounds like under the shifter/near the engine and it won't shift down and power off. If I actually move the shifter down it seems to be ok.

If I'm at speed of say 90 sometimes it won't rattle but it kind of clunks and lurches a bit buy again won't shift down and power off.

How worried should I be? Haha.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK I'm home now...I sent that mid drive home from work at a servo coffee break.

So...it seems that trying to accellerate at any speed...the car either just clunks and kind of lurches a bunch or rattles the **** out of itself.

I called my mechanic and verbalised the problem to him and he suggested it could be the knock sensor...I really don't know what that is, but I'll be searching this here fine forum for mention of it shortly.

My car, I fear is seriously in need of some attention.

Here's my list of current things bothering me/it -

- The whole grinding when I accellerate on a left corner is still there as horrible as ever.
- When I brake hard, there's a *clunk* *clunk* sound coming from what sounds like the front drivers side wheel well.
- When I accellerate from a stop, there is another clunky kind of sound coming from the front.

My poor car is going through hell. What sucks is (for anyone who knows South East Queensland) Every day I have to drive from redcliffe, to caboolture, to Brisbane, to caboolture and back to redcliffe. So it being dead and/or seriously out of commission SUCKS for me in a huge way.

Cars...can't live with em...can't pour jet fuel on them and set them on fire.

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Took it for a run down to the shops yesterday and it sounded pretty sick. No rattles, but when I was accellerating it was very juddery and sounded like the engine was skipping a beat now and then.

Tuesday I take it in...

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
make sure the front left wheel nuts r done up... :)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Make sure you havent lost a a brake guide pin bolt. Sounds very similar to when I lost mine, under braking or certain corners it was flcking the caliper top half into the rim, and smashing back down and repeating.

Also check its not missing, or missung under load.

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
The left turn grind I swear will haunt me to the grave. Mechanic has no idea...did new front brakes, wheel bearings...he's totally stumped. Can't seem to reproduce any movement or noise in the shop, just on the road.

Anyway, it's the engine pinging and skipping that I'm most concerned about. Hopefully it's just something timing related and can be sorted reasonably pain free.

But when is that ever the case? haha

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
have you tried replacing your CV joints, they may be gone they make a clunk noise when cornering and a ticking noise when not.

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mechanic checked them out at the time and said they seemed fine...not getting any clunking. It's like when I turn left and accellerate pretty hard, something just starts going "GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR". It's only when I accellerate off a corner...if I hit a corner at a decent speed and just hang around it it doesn't make a sound. Only when under accelleration.

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got back from the mechanic with a fixed car. A coilpack had packed it in. Replaced it and it's running fine (or as fine as I'm used to! hah).

He also troubleshot my turning noise most likely candidate down to rear wheel bearings.

So we'll do that in a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice and comments. This forum totally rules my car world hah.