Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle/Vibration at any speed

mattw1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Olympic Edition
G'day all.

Bought a vtII olympic edition as a hobby car. I'm going to be putting a club sport kit on it in the future. But what I wanted to ask today is about a vibration/shudder the car makes when driving. It feels like a left right movement. Sometimes I feel through the steering wheel and sometimes through the drivers seat. Any ideas. I have already had wheel balance and alignment. The idle is a little rough but I don't think it's attributing too much to the shudder when driving

Thanks in advance.

PS I used to have a vtII with a club sport kit several years ago. Girlfriend wrote it off. So this one will be locked in the garage for the most part. (Keys hidden from gf)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Speeds this happens at?
Accelerating, Slowing down, Any particular gear, downshifting to a lower gear when it's doing it change anything?
Always there or more noticeable under braking?
Uphill, downhill or flat road make any difference?

Well we can rule out wheel balance, in other news wheel alignment isn't going to make a car shudder/vibrate (just handle like crap and/or wear the tyres out)

From your description it could be anything that is rotating in the driveline while the car is in motion, rough idle may be an indication, could be something in the tail shaft (uni's, center bearing), If auto it could be a warped/cracked flex plate or a bolt may have fallen out holding the torque converter to it.... could be warped rotors, stuffed wheel bearings, bad road surface.... water in the tyres (but this would make getting them balanced impossible)...... need more info about when this is happening and what circumstances to make a more educated guess.

Your gf didn't leave her ear rings in the ash tray?

mattw1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Olympic Edition
No, no ear rings...

Happens at pretty much all the time, braking and accelerating dont affect it too much. But what i have noticed is when the car is doing it usually between 40-70km/h if i flick it into neutral (automatic gearbox) the vibration instantly goes away.