Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rattle

3800_man

hey, today started my car up, and there was a little rattle, just ignored it at first, checked round couldnt find nething, neway did bout 30-40kms today got home and got someone more experienced and looked for it, turns out the 7 bolts holding the torque converter and the 2 bold at the back of the engine block wre all bout quater inch off, gunna put it on hois tpmorrow and put new washers and lock tite the nuts, bit scary tho atm stressing if its a bigger prblem, neone with ne info on a rattle of what it could be plz tell me...

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i think you answered yourself already man...it was rattling because the trans wasnt secured properly....its very unlikely to be anything more sinister than that mate.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
take the inspection cover off, and check the flexplate, hopefully u have not elongated the holes, good luck

3800_man

lol 718$ later, the flywheel in the torque converter/gearbox/engins is fukd, relace it and a gearbox service 718$ lol but thanks guys, next thing for me replace the spark plugs lol, more fuking money i dont have

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
those nut must have been loose for ages to do that, not just one day. and it would have made a terrible racket....

3800_man

it made a terrible racket but it was just for a day, the problem has been building for ages aparently. just no sound till it finally got fukd up

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
thats funny, last time i got that horrid rattle, it got worse and worse, thouhgt i spun n engin bearing, bought a second hand (162000) vn s2 motor for $350 adn in the process of putting in the new motor myself i found out the flywheel was cracked. My mate gave it a light tap with a hammer and the thing fell into 2 bits, $40 for a second flywheel and bobs my unlce

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
thats funny, last time i got that horrid rattle, it got worse and worse, thouhgt i spun n engin bearing, bought a second hand (162000) vn s2 motor for $350 adn in the process of putting in the new motor myself i found out the flywheel was cracked. My mate gave it a light tap with a hammer and the thing fell into 2 bits, $40 for a second flywheel and bobs my unlce

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
I was driving my little bro's VK that he had about a year ago i just pulled into the servo on my my home in it.I came out to start the car and nothing i had lighters and everything under the bonnet being dark and windy i could'nt see a thing.Get home after me and me Dad towed it got it in the shed under lights and WHAT THE? the starter motor was hanging out forward both bolts wher just holding their buy a few threads each put it back in with some loctite on the bolts .But someone i know said they have seen the same thing happen acouple of times on the old commo's before.