Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rattles from the top end?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
my vs calais v6 has been getting a rattle that sounds like a tappet noise even under mild acceleration (like going up a slightly inclined road @ 40kph) although its fairly quiet when going up the road but noticeable to someone who would pick it up! and the other day when i drove to work i had to take of fairly quickly so i put it back into 2 nailed it and it was rattleing its head off under full acceleration:( now the car has 175xxx on the clock and is usually only driven by the missus and she drives it with a feather light foot and i hardly ever drive the car at all! so i dont see why it would be needing the tappets fixed could it be the timeing chain? if so is there any way to tell? cheers:thumbsup:

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
my vs calais v6 has been getting a rattle that sounds like a tappet noise even under mild acceleration (like going up a slightly inclined road @ 40kph) although its fairly quiet when going up the road but noticeable to someone who would pick it up! and the other day when i drove to work i had to take of fairly quickly so i put it back into 2 nailed it and it was rattleing its head off under full acceleration:( now the car has 175xxx on the clock and is usually only driven by the missus and she drives it with a feather light foot and i hardly ever drive the car at all! so i dont see why it would be needing the tappets fixed could it be the timeing chain? if so is there any way to tell? cheers:thumbsup:

Strange question but when did you last replace your spark plugs? Mine was missing under heavy acceleration. I thought something was wrong just old plugs.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
are you positive its an engine rattle? its very common for the VS V6 to develop a rattle when the engine mounts sag and the exhaust fouls on the chassis or power steering and creates a very "tinny" sounding rattle which is sometimes confused as coming "from the engine".
see if you can get the rattle to happen when stationary and see if you can locate exactly where the rattle is originating.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Strange question but when did you last replace your spark plugs? Mine was missing under heavy acceleration. I thought something was wrong just old plugs.
yeah i havent changed the plugs in a while probably over a year now, but im more inclined to think its the timeing chain or lifters or some thing,
are you positive its an engine rattle? its very common for the VS V6 to develop a rattle when the engine mounts sag and the exhaust fouls on the chassis or power steering and creates a very "tinny" sounding rattle which is sometimes confused as coming "from the engine".
see if you can get the rattle to happen when stationary and see if you can locate exactly where the rattle is originating.
i will start her up this arvo and have a listen but its definatly some engine rattle! i was rather disapointed actually the other day when i gave it a squirt as it was like the lifters where about to shoot throught the bonnet or some thing:( and the thing is that this car isnt flogged! its garaged and looked after:( but anyway i will check the exhuast for clearance and i do know the engine mounts need replaceing soon so i will check out those things:thumbsup:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Could be a rocker getting loose. Long shot on that.

The timming chain rattles is when you have mild load on it and it has a hollow sound to it. So moderate acceleration gives the loudest rattle. Like at around 30-40kph down a side street. Can sound like the engine is going to fly apart.

Also can be the flex plate on the tranny. Bloke accross the road thought his Vn was dead with a very loud rattle - he was going to scrap it but it was the flex plate..

Last edited:

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
you said it sounds like tappets? checked your oil, maybe it is.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Could be a rocker getting loose. Long shot on that.

The timming chain rattles is when you have mild load on it and it has a hollow sound to it. So moderate acceleration gives the loudest rattle. Like at around 30-40kph down a side street. Can sound like the engine is going to fly apart.

Also can be the flex plate on the tranny. Bloke accross the road thought his Vn was dead with a very loud rattle - he was going to scrap it but it was the flex plate..
im going out for a few minutes now will see if i can notice it! the tranny also usually seems fine
you said it sounds like tappets? checked your oil, maybe it is.
did an oil change about a month back and keep check on it regulary, i think its the tappets:( i wonder in i replaced the rockers with the YT or FIT ones whether that would make a difference?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
my vn makes a weird tapping crunching type noise when it idles and i rev it a little and also when it changes gears (auto) it makes it but only if i give low acceleration..if i give it a bit it doesnt have the noise!!! i

im thinking lifters and or timeing chain with mine as when i move the harmonic balancer side to side i can hear like a chain typ tap noise!!! and no its not the harmonic balancer as the noise in in the engin) every vn i know around here has the noise so it most likely a common noise)

but yeh if u fix the noise let us know as im interested as to what it is

cheers

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
well took it for a spin and i could here it but onlt ver slightly on the way home under low acceleration so will have a look maybe tommorow feeling to crook right now!