Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattling noise in the engine

Sv62012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore sv6 2012
Hi guys

I own a 2012 model commodore sv6 ute and ever since I've bought it from car city in michinbery it makes a rattling noise, first I thought a stick was stuck somewhere near the wheel but the noise won't go away. I've taken it to many mechanics and they are telling me it could be the bearings in the engine, I've owned it for about 2 years but the noise hasn't got worse or better so I question myself if it is actually the bearing. One of the comment I read on this forum said leak in the a/c could be the problem which my car does leak out cold gas. I'm dumbfounded and need help from peeps that are here not for the profit. Ps some mechanic took my engine cover and it was hell trying to get that back. Any help would be great

Thanks

Alyssa99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Is the muffler or exhaust damaged at all? Could be the upper arm rubbers or the arms?

Sv62012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore sv6 2012
My mechanic checked the mufflers which had no problem, the noise is coming from inside the engine and has no issues in performance. He said he will have to take out the engine and open it up to find out exactly what it is but that will cost too much for what it is. Thanks for the reply tho

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Could be a simple issue of timing chains, or guides,
Have they been replaced ?
If not, they could possible be tired, and I did read there were a batch that were a bit noisy,
Timing chains is not hard to do, just time consuming to pull it down and re-assemble. [But need the right tools to do them tho]

Did your mechanic use a stethoscope to see were the noises are located ?,
If not, he is possible trying to guess the fault, and get the job to fix it,
If your not happy with his answer,
Get a second opinion, and if your still not happy with his answer, get a third opinion.

Last edited:

Sv62012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore sv6 2012
Mechanic did use stethoscope to locate the noise and did say it is coming inside the engine but yeh I will probably take it to another mechanic, I will also definitely check the timing belt from another mechanic. Was it the 2012 ve2 model batch with timing belt issues? Thank you

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Mechanic did use stethoscope to locate the noise and did say it is coming inside the engine but yeh I will probably take it to another mechanic, I will also definitely check the timing belt from another mechanic. Was it the 2012 ve2 model batch with timing belt issues? Thank you
Has the performance of the engine changed since you’ve had the car? Does the rattling noise speed up and slow down with the engine revs?
I think if there is no noticeable difference in performance and it was obviously making the noise when you bought the car two years ago, and the fact that you have put up with it for so long with the car seemingly unaffected mechanically, then you should not bother opening that possible can of worms so to speak.
I am in no way an expert in car mechanics, and this is just my opinion. Good luck.