Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rattling pulley engine noise when idleing

Rider5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR WGN
Hi I have a rattling noise coming from the front of the engine on my VR it's done 240k
I first thought it was the belt tensioner pulley so I replaced that and the noise was still there, when I turned on the air con the noise got louder and worse so I then I bought a shorter fan belt to bypass the air con but noise is still there. When I take the fan belt completely off the engine the noise stops.
I've tried listening with a screw driver and a piece of hose but it's so loud that I cant pin point it.
The water pump feels firm when I try and move it, the harmonic balancer feels firm but... there are bits of rubber missing out of it ! I did think without the belt on it's not under any load.
The power steering pulley does have a bit of movement in it.
Any ideas ? I think it's either the power steering or the harmonic balancer

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi I have a rattling noise coming from the front of the engine on my VR it's done 240k
I first thought it was the belt tensioner pulley so I replaced that and the noise was still there, when I turned on the air con the noise got louder and worse so I then I bought a shorter fan belt to bypass the air con but noise is still there. When I take the fan belt completely off the engine the noise stops.
I've tried listening with a screw driver and a piece of hose but it's so loud that I cant pin point it.
The water pump feels firm when I try and move it, the harmonic balancer feels firm but... there are bits of rubber missing out of it ! I did think without the belt on it's not under any load.
The power steering pulley does have a bit of movement in it.
Any ideas ? I think it's either the power steering or the harmonic balancer
It sounds like the harmonic balancer is the problem, bits of rubber missing from it is not good.

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
Hi
Change the AC pulleys they are a common problem There are 2 of them about $15 each easy to replace 15 mm socket to take off they the originals were metal now they are hard plastic.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi -
Change the AC pulleys they are a common problem There are 2 of them about $15 each easy to replace 15 mm socket to take off they the originals were metal now they are hard plastic.
He put a shorter belt on by-passing the compressor and the noise was still there.

5 speed VR

Green Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 Exc 5 spd
It sounds like the harmonic balancer is the problem, bits of rubber missing from it is not good.

I was driving along one day when bang something went in the front and a hell of a noise was comming from the motor, turned out to be the harmonic balancer and there was a big chunk of rubber sitting on top of my battery from the balancer. Got it replaced and no noise.

Rider5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR WGN
Thanks guys, I figure it has to be the harmonic balancer and a mate had a look at it he reckons by the way the rubber is cracked with bits missing that it's probably the cause.
Any recommendations who I can take it too, NOR in Perth ?

Rider5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR WGN
OK Here's my feedback for any one else that may have a similar noise. Yes it was the harmonic balancer. I got a new one put on now she's as quiet a mouse.

SWEET VS CAPRICE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS CAPRICE
If it is a V6 . Turn the steering wheel left and right and rattles it head off. Like the other guys said. Harmonic balancer. Check it out the rubbers in it are prob all cracked..........