Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rattling sound at cold start

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
had the same problem, run Nulon Lifter Free Through for 2 weeks then dump the oil and renew the oil. with some good quality stuff like mobil 1 or Castrol GTX III
if it happens again i would look at new lifters.

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
i went to the auto part thinking to replace the lifter today then again this guys recommended me not to because its waste of money and it sounds normal for high k's holden engine so instead they gave me another engine oil 10w30 to try well the noise slightly gone but i still feeling paranoid that the rattle still there lol

seriously this issue hasn't really effected my car performance but it does effecting my tolerance level

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
i went to the auto part thinking to replace the lifter today then again this guys recommended me not to because its waste of money and it sounds normal for high k's holden engine so instead they gave me another engine oil 10w30 to try well the noise slightly gone but i still feeling paranoid that the rattle still there lol

seriously this issue hasn't really effected my car performance but it does effecting my tolerance level

To be honest, that does sound like an average high kms Ecotec, I wouldn't be too worried about it randomly exploding or anything.

The lifter treatment some of the guys have suggested might solve your problem, it's cheap and easy to try at any rate.

If it were me I'd be running a 20w50 in an engine with 280,000kms on it. 10w30 is quite thin, and would have been Ok when the engine was new, but by now it'd probably benefit from a thicker oil. I've found the Shell high-milage stuff to be good in those motors, but any of the big name brands should be alright. It's not something you'd need to run off and do, but when the next oil change comes around it's what I'd recommend. I would also say that if you are doing regular changes at 5,000kms, that you needn't worry about using synthetic oil (there's no harm if you do, but you won't gain much from it).

JacksonVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2
Yeah i know exactly what noise ýou are talkin about. My VS did it and my VX does it. I can vouche for it being ****ing annoying too. Do you notice its worse when you start it up when the engines already at operating temp. It clicks and rattles rapidly, then fades to a single click which you can hear it echo if óff walls (e.g in a drive thru). I tried an engine flush, tried lifter treatment, changed oils and it still does it. I even pulled the old lifters out and put new ones in ($200 from CamTech) and it has'nt fixed the prob. I still can't figure it out!

JacksonVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2
Just to add to that i've scrolled through the forums, people are saying its balance shafter bearings too. Anyone else encountered this problem and had it fixed?